Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've talked about this a few times..

What are the options for upgrading to bigger calipers (either with the std or larger rotors).

Does anyone know _why_ the fiat coupe brembo's are too much work to fit?

Any suggestions or comments?

Cheers,
A

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i dont think it is to hard,but it would be easier to change over the whole lot from a coupe discs,calipers,wishbones,hubs,shox.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was going to take a photo of all the bits you need and post it but i didnt think anyone would be interested.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,
I know of a 2nd hand kit of Coupe discs and Brembo calipers going at Poweralfa in Daventry.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ye, I know it has been discussed few time without results. Because of that I have done a LOT of research on it and found out the following:

1. Fiat Coupe is designed with rims that are deeper in respect of hub-to-spoke distance. The rim spokes lays in a plane very far out in the rim and therefor there is a larger clearance between brake disc and rim spokes. The 155 is designed with smaller clearance between disc and spokes for a caliper with no piston on the outside.

2. There are three ways getting a Coupe 20V/GTV 3.0/GTA/406 Coupe/360 Modena caliper into a 155 wheel:
a, use other rims, perhaps with a spacer for the rim
b, use a large spacer for the rim (don't think it is possible because of the wheelarches)
c, move the disc inwards, perhaps with a spacer for the rim

3. I want to use the set of rims I have and have hunted parts for alternative c. The spindle joint in the wishbone dimensions the maximum disc offset and the most ideal disc I found so far is the BMW M3 E36 disc (315x28x52). From 90 Euro (Brembo original) and up depending on which supplier you choose. The BMW standard disc has a non deatachable aluminium hub and costs about 230 Euro. I prefer a disc casted in one piece of steel beacause it handles the necessary modifications better than the aluminium hub. With 16" speedline one might have to cut a few mm's on the diameter of the disc, but that is ok. So what you do is to drill 4x98 12 mm holes for the wheel bolts and 2x98 8 mm holes for the guidance bolts in the hub. Then you turn (?) a center ring for the disc guidance and it should have an at least 3 mm thick 115 diameter disc that serves as a spacer for the brake disc - just for the protection of the spindle joint rubber sealing that is a bit too close to the brake disc.

4. The brake caliper discussed is a good one and costs from 370 Euro each without pads from Peugot to 530 Euro with pads from Brembo. Another option is to use Porsche's monoblock GT3 (4 pistons) or GT2 (6 pistons) calipers. I don't have the exact meassures of theese yet, but monoblock calipers are usually mor compact. The GT2 calipers costs around 390 euro each and the GT3 must be cheaper. The drawback with Porsche calipers, except the Porsche logotype, is that they are designed for a 34 mm disc.

To be continued

/A

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done a bit of hunting too..

Porsche 993 Twin turbo's use the new monobloc calipers.. these are the same ones supplied by Moveit's big Uber brake conversion. So they must be able to fit.

TAS can provide discs of any size using the separate bell & rotor technique.

The calipers go for about $400 a pair so are reasonably priced. All thats needed is a carrier to mount the calipers in the desired position on the disc depending on wheel\disc size you choose.

Does that sound about right?
Alex

·
Registered
177 Posts
TAS?

The price seems good. The yellow Movit brakes are the Porsche GT2 calipers and the red Movit's are the GT3 calipers. So your price with $400 / pair is extremely cood. Tell me more!

When we're talking discs, my experience is that discs, without bells, are much more expensive than discs casted with bells that are spareparts for roadcars. But if you find cheap discs in the right size and you believe you can get a new pair for the same price the day you need them, then go for it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Andreas,

$400 odd USD was a price I regularly saw on the net for calipers from breakers yards.. I'm not sure how much they are new though they should be quite cheap as porsche has a "we will be cheapest" policy wink

TAS - trans auto sport in preston UK.. www.tas-uk.com (or something like that) are a motorsport engineering place, they _can_ do anything you want. Std brembo rotors come in a range of sizes including 34mm & any dia you want. well worth a look.

The only problem (as usual) will be getting the carrier made.. but as far as I can see this should be quite easy for this setup.

Cheers,
Alex

re the droplinks.. do they increase the stiffness of the ARB much?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think your all getting far too deep into this the only way is to try it and see.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup.. when I have the cash, I'll put some money to it & see what works :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I can get a set of Brembo calipers with pads from a Fiat Coupe for £200 I think if my mate still has them. I went off the idea as apparently I needed specially machined carriers making and custom bells and rotors which would have been £700 from Clovertech!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know what u mean Wrinx;
The first time I tried to do a handbrake turn with my 155 I nearly ended up off the road!!! I then realised to my dismay that the villain is the brake caliper itself!!! The mechanical advantage of a manually actuated caliper is pathetic hence this is why Vauxhall still prefer to have a drum brake as a park prake (a lot more mechanical advantage) and therefore a lot more fun!!!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi TAZ

Yeah, they're not good when they work.....but mine isn't working..at all!!

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My handbrake is great. 4 notches and that's that. I adjusted the handbrake on a slight slope (my driveway). Had the cable fully tight with the handbrake off and it held the car. Then I loosened it until it started to hold at 3 notches. So 4 notches and the car holds fine.

Marlon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts