Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah id like to know too! and for front calipers!
From what I have read on here, the fronts just push back in, the rears need the tool as they turn in as they have the handbrake attached.

Oh and thanks Hansthebear!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've got that one. It works on all the cars I've tried it on, including my old 147. The end bit is swappable so the lugs line up and allow the caliper to be wound back in, or just pushed as necessary.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yep, thats the tool. It works on all Fiat group cars with rear discs that I have tried. ie Fiat 124 + Tipo 16v, Lancia Delta, Alfa 155, 156, 166.
The rear calipers pistons are usually pretty stiff to get moving and you need to be careful that the piston rotates at the same rate as you turn the handle (ie not merely being forced back)
I use a simple G clamp on the front calipers which seems to work OK.
Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yes that is what I've just bought and used on my rear calipers. You can just push the pistons back if you have brembos on the front. I'd imagine you'd need this if you have the single pot TS front brakes though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rewind

Which way do the pistons rewind? i have a left-hand one that i used on my MR2, Will it work on my Alfa 156? could save me some cash!

·
Registered
13,554 Posts
Which way do the pistons rewind? i have a left-hand one that i used on my MR2, Will it work on my Alfa 156? could save me some cash!
Conventionally, i.e. you rotate the rewind tool clockwise to screw the pistons back in to their housing(s).

Edit - if the pistons on a 156 are the same as a Gtv, then I don't see why it shouldn't work on a 156 - I haven't tried that though, only on a couple of Gtvs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Also tried the pliers & screwdriver route, but didn't get the pistons in sufficiently to engage the handbrake auto-adjuster I ended up redoing the whole rear brakes after buying the tool. Worth the investment of £9?

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
And spray some +Gas on the piston before you start adjusting back into its housing, as soon as it free's it glides back with +Gas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts