Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone altered their brakes in anyway to make them more powerfull, as i am struggaling to stop, admittedly i do drive too fast on the roads, but they do feel on occassions even the most simplist of tasks they fail to do anything constructive.

If I brake hard for a corner say from 120Mph down to 40 - 50Mph i am left with them almost catching on fire and certainly smoaking, i do actually feel that there isn't enough cool air getting to them which i am sorting eventually, but i am wondering if anyone has changed the callipers or the discs to a bigger size and if braided hosing will help like on Motorbikes. i'm sure that through all of this one of the discs has warped.

Can Anyone recomend anything before i go talking to the cows in the cow field that i have so narowley missed on a few occasions

We Live, We Breed, We Die... How Fast Depends On My Brakes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ferodo DS2500 pads - you can't beat them.

You could add drilled / grooved discs or go the whole hog and get Brembo calipers.................but the Ferodo pads will be a huge improvement

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AFAIK Brembo make discs for all models - plain or drilled

To be honest the Ferodo DS2500 pads will make the biggest difference. If you need to buy new discs then you could upgrade to drilled or drilled / grooved discs.

But it is worth trying the Ferodo pads first and see if they give enough improvement. Also you should renew the brake fluid at the same time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thompatruck1 said:
Can you get standard fit Bremo discs for the 155??? I got some for my ZX and that was a serious improvement!!
Yes. I have a set of these 10 groove discs for the front of my car but they are sitting in the shed (they also fit your car Crashedit ;))

They were machined by 3G from Brembo blanks. I took them off as I don't like the "whirring" noise you get when they are hot.

Crashedit, also check that the spring on the brake bias valve hasn't snapped. Mine did and I found that it was basically applying the brakes too much to the front ans was causing them to overheat and fade very quickly.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Or that the spring has`nt stretched and has no pressure on the valve making it brake more on the fronts and hardly on the rears at all :eek:

I put a shorter spring on mine and the brakes are much better ;) :D

(I know i keep banging on about it but it makes a hell of a difference to the brake`s)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
speed freak said:
Or that the spring has`nt stretched and has no pressure on the valve making it brake more on the fronts and hardly on the rears at all :eek:

I put a shorter spring on mine and the brakes are much better ;) :D

(I know i keep banging on about it but it makes a hell of a difference to the brake`s)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahem, kronenburg moment i'm afraid! any road quick question , where do i find the brake bias valve as this sounds like a probable cause of my brake problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is under the car near the back beside the corner exhaust box. Just behind the ant-roll bar. Best if you jack up the left hand side of the car.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Crashedit - have you changed your brake fluid? If it's never been done, that means it's at least 7 years old, and is probably mostly water by now (since brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it draws water from the atmosphere), and a lot more 'squishy' than fresh brake fluid.

While you're putting some decent pads in, assuming you haven't got warped discs (which you'd certainly know about by the noise and vibration under braking!!), I'd save your money and just flush your old brake fluid through and bleed your brakes.

I still use standard discs and pads, and my brakes stand up to some fairly serious abuse... although I will probably put some braided hoses on next time I do brake things...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got standard brakes on mine, the only time I had any problems was when I put on cheapo pads from the local motor factors. Do check your fluid as well - mine was an interesting dark brown colour when I changed it! Alfashop do good pads by mail-order if you need them.

J.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Pascs said:
Ferodo DS2500 pads - you can't beat them.

You could add drilled / grooved discs or go the whole hog and get Brembo calipers.................but the Ferodo pads will be a huge improvement
About 4 weeks ago I fitted Ferodo pads and standard discs to my V6 in place of 20 groove discs (red-dot I think) and EBC green-stuff pads...... the difference is amazing....even after a thousand miles of driving the first time I brake I'm surprised by how sharp they are.... I'd second the ferodo pad recommendation - they're expensive (my local motor factors charged my £60 and insisted they should retail at £80) and they're mucky buggers, my alloys seem to be a whole lot blacker come the weekend clean than they did with the green stuff pads in - which incidently I would not recommend - I found them to be crap when cold and slightly less crap when warmed up.... Other than that braided hoses will make a difference as will a change to Dot5 brake fluid..... Grooved discs are just an expensive fashion accessory ...... in my humble opinion.....

DJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once back from australia i will start to pay attention to my brakes a little more, certainly to change pads to what everyone is recomending. I cant see no problem with the springs in them and the fluid has not long since been changed, i'm very tempted to put braided hose's on (big believer in them) and possibley might even think of putting a larger disc and calliper on (if possible) at a later stage.

dj - the reason for the green pads not working well is that they are meant for track use on cars like caterhams and formula racing, as they are meant to be used at a greater temperature (all or nothing), more than you could safley achieve on the road.

Anyone tried fitting an adjustable brake bias at all, just asking cause if its one thing that i like to trust on my car ..its the brakes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is true, the ebc green are sold for road use, still a "race" brake pad though, however if you were to fit the ebc red which i believe are ceramic, that should have a more positive effect due to being better on track days and hot hatches/saloons ( trying to save up for some to test my theory)

I will Let you all know if and when i come back from Australia

We Live, We Breed, We Die... How Fats Depends On The Crocs In Oz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.