Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, any advice about bleeding brakes ???
I'm gonna change the brake fluid so.....
I've read somewhere that because the clutch uses the same resovoir, this can lead to problems.
Also, do I empty the brake lines of the old fluid before topping up or do I top up and just keep bleeding them till I'm happy.

Cheers

Marlon

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There should be a bleed nipple on the clutch,
this is how i did mine on an E30 bmw.
Basically crack this off and get someone to pump the clutch (would advise to get some tubing,
put this over the nipple and feed the tube into a jar or some type of container) whilst the
old fluid is coming out (tell your mate to keep pumping)keep the reservoir topped up,and once you see the new fluid coming out of
the tube, then its done.
didn't do the brakes though.
I should imagine theres a nipple on them somewhere and you use the same principle as above, but pump the brake pedal this time.
Not sure about dual systems, maybe someone
else can answer that.

Not quite the answer you were looking for, but
it should give you some idea.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I'd go and get a one-man bleeding kit from Halfords, this is a resevoir that screws onto your brake resevoir and also plugs into your spare wheel. You set this up then got around the car and crack open the bleed nipples at each corner, (I always start with the wheel furthest away from the resevoir) the pressure from the spare tyre pushes the new brake fluid through the pipes, so when you see clean liquid coming through just close up the nipple. Work your way round the car until you get to the wheel closest to the brake fluid resevoir.

I never use the 'pump the brakes' method, yes it works but on cars this age, but when you do this, because you push the pedal further than in normal use, you risk damaging the cylinder seals on all the corrosion that will have built up. at the bottom of the cylinder stroke.

Just my 2p and for the price of the one man kit its worth doing.

Steve

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys, it was really just to see if i should empty the brake system first or just continually top up.
The one man kit might be a good idea so I don't have to involve my wife.

Marlon

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't drain the system, just let the new fluid push the old out , If you drain it, you will have probs with the compensator as well. You would need to get under the car to bleed that as well.

Steve

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're gonna use the eazibleed one-man kit, be sure to test the setup for leaks with the bottle empty BEFORE you go ahead and put the brake fluid in the bleeding bottle. If there's a leak or something lets go when you connect the thing to the spare wheel you'll have half a pint of brake fluid spraying everywhere. So make sure it's all air-tight and safe, then take the pressure off, fill the bottle and start bleeding.

Oh, and replace the old fluid in the reservoir with fresh first (use a syringe to suck the fluid out).

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also with the ezbleed, make sure you let the spare tyre down to about 15-20psi before you start. If you connect it with 60psi, you will definately get a leak. You don't need much pressure to push the old fluid through.
Steve

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done mine twice now with the easi bleed and it's so simple. Just keep bleeding until the clean fluid appears. I've used easi bleed for about the last 20 years on various cars. Highly recommended :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marlon i,ve got an pressure bleeding kit i,ll give you a shot if you like

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Shug, might take you up on the offer.
Won't be doing it for a couple of weeks or so, just waiting for a "new" front caliper.
I'll give you a call and maybe come up and get it.

Marlon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts