Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

It's a random question, does anyone know what size the brake bleed screws are on the 1.9jtdm 159SW?
Both of my rear nipples have snapped off (it makes your eyes water when it happens) and I've got to drill them out, hopefully without having to re-tap them and fit bigger screws.

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
822 Posts
Its very hard to drill bleed nipples out as you have to make sure you don't damage the tapered seat at the bottom or the thread. Might be best to go for a couple of reconditioned calipers for safety?

Alternatively, you may be able to bleed by taking caliper off and positioning it so that the clamping union for the flex pipe is uppermost. Cracking that bolt should then allow you to get the air out. I've done that trick quite a few times on motorbikes to get out of trouble!

Keith

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Keith, that's plan B.
The aim is to use a stud extractor but I've got to drill out the broken extractor that's in there from when they broke. The callipers will come off so I can work on them on the bench with the pillar drill.
Safety, nah. It'll be fine, what's the worst that can happen? :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Unfortunately the broken off stud extractor will be harder than your drill bit so you will wear away the end of your drill bit rather than making a hole. At this point you need another caliper. Been there, done that, etc.

·
Registered
650 Posts
you can get bleed nipples off ebay. i did that with mine but i have the TI version so im not sure we have the same calipers

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that was horrendous. I decided not to be a skinflint and bought 2 refurb callipers.
I knew it was too easy to be done in an hour.
The LH calliper hadn't been refurbished properly and the calliper seized on, after a few Hours we discovered that the "new" piston was 0.1mm bigger towards the bottom, just enough to stop it retracting. We ended up using my old piston in the new calliper and Roberts your fathers brother. Sorted.
That said, even after a full bleed there's still 3/4" of travel in the pedal before the brakes bite. But at least it brakes in a straight line now.
Any ideas on the spongieness?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Air still in the system is the obvious, followed by master cylinder wear/cup washers, rubber hoses, and so forth. Check the abs system too.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Check the abs system too.
yes, hopefully he didn't let the ABS drain out.

Can be a real pain to get the air out when it has got into the ABS.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. ABS is all good so no air in there. There's no obvious bulging in the hoses under heavy pressure but I'll be putting braided lines on at some point anyway once I've done a few more little jobs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts