Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I have seen a lot of people talking about having problems with rubbish brakes, with metions of the bias/load valve.

I too have crap brakes that have left me with the smell of fear in the past when slowing down from 120. I have put on brembo 4 pots and this seems to have made the problem worse. now the abs goes mental before the car has really slowed down heavily.

I measured the temp after a razz and the fronts were at 250-300 degrees and the rears were at 30 hmmmmm :eek: . That might explain why it pulls around under heavy braking too, without the rear restrained.

Does anyone have any settings for the bias balance of is it just a hit and miss affair, move it and see what happens :rolleyes: .

Dom B

G

·
Is the spring still attached to the bias valve and not too worn/stretched ???
My spring was missing which meant the front brakes were loading up. Replaced the spring and they are now magic.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Yup as Marlon says check the spring on the load sensing valve

Mine was loose and had no tension so i fitted a shorter spring and improved the back brakes by 100kg a side on the brake rollers ;) :D :D

BTW you need to check the spring tension when the car is sat on the ground and NOT jacked up so you need it on a ramp or over a pit ;) :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:p I crawled underneath her yesterday, and the spring is loose but still connected. With someone moving the suspension up and down the spring hardly moves much.

Where do I find one of these shorter springs? Was it a part for a car, or just an old matress spring :cheese:

Dom B

G

·
Dom,

It is only normal for your front brakes to be hotter than the rears. The harder you brake, the less brake pressure is fed to the rear axle in a bid to avoid you locking up at the rear and end up back to front. With modern cars these days (even more so front wheel drive cars), nearly all of the braking is performed with the front brakes due to weight transfer to the front axle during a braking event.

The only thing I can think of about your poor brake performance with your new discs is that you might not have bedded them in. It takes a good 100 miles with repeated gentle braking to ensure that both pads and brakes start performing as they should. If this is not the case, you may have an incompatible set of brakes and pads fitted.

Taz.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Dom B said:
:p I crawled underneath her yesterday, and the spring is loose but still connected. With someone moving the suspension up and down the spring hardly moves much.

Where do I find one of these shorter springs? Was it a part for a car, or just an old matress spring :cheese:

Dom B

Dom i got a shorter spring for mine out of me spare spring box :rolleyes: but the chances are that is that the old spring will have stretched or weakened with age.....................might be worth buying a new spring and trying that(it sorted Marlon`s) or a tour of the local breakers to find one a bit shorter than your`s

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
Go down the hardware store and buy any spring the same sort of strength as your existing one, but 2" shorter. Any spring will be better than the standard, stretched-so-far-it-isn't-doing-anything original.

If you Brembos are hopeless then there's something wrong. Bleed the whole system of air (use new DOT4 fluid) and change to Freddy Ferodo's DS2500 pads. Sorted.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree the fronts should be hotter, but the rears at 30 deg means they are basically not on at all, thats just like a hot sunny day, when the fronts are literally smoking i expect more heat in the rears. I have bled the brakes many times and the pads and discs were well run in. I'm sure the problem lies with the bias.

Im going to alfa to get a spring before i do anything else.

Cheers guys
Dom B

G

·
Dom B said:
I agree the fronts should be hotter, but the rears at 30 deg means they are basically not on at all, thats just like a hot sunny day, when the fronts are literally smoking i expect more heat in the rears. I have bled the brakes many times and the pads and discs were well run in. I'm sure the problem lies with the bias.

Im going to alfa to get a spring before i do anything else.

Cheers guys
Dom B
30 deg is way too low and as you rightly say means they are not operating at all.
My brakes have a very similar heat front and back - front obviously being hotter after heavy braking.

You could take your car to an MOT centre an get them to test the rear brakes - see if they are actually working when you are braking.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Pascs said:
You could take your car to an MOT centre an get them to test the rear brakes - see if they are actually working when you are braking.
Thats how i found my spring was doing bugger all the rear brakes were only reading 50kg on the rollers :rolleyes: after i fitted the shorter spring it went up to 150kg ......................3 times better and the braking is a lot better on the car now (obviously :rolleyes: )

Btw i work in my own testing station so it was easy for me to get to some roller`s ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been thinking, If the bias was all to the front because that loose flapping spring was rubbish, then i put on 4 pot calipers with more piston area and therefore more mechanical advantage, then the problem will become even worse. Which is maybe why the brembos seem little improvement. I need that spring, to ALFA I must go. :lol:

G

·
Just ordered my spring... nto a standard stock item so they're having to order it in for me. They've taken my number and said they will phone me when it gets in.
Going by past experiences i'll be lucky if i get a call.. think i'll hcase then next week :D

j

G

·
Reckon it's a good idea to check this on mine, always felt the rear were doing **** all.

So question time, where is the bias valve/spring located? Gonna be a tight fit under the car (no pit) so would prefer to know where i need to get to.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need to crawl in under your backbox. Look at the main pivot bush of the left wishbone, and look to the right up around the side of the heat shield. The spring is about 5" or so long and it runs over the large diameter tube of the reat subframe.

It is awkward, and I assume it's going pop straight on really easily being its not a massivly strong spring (Like fun it will), I bet I wont be able to move the dam thing at all!! :mad:

T see if it is loose I just poked mine with a stick, and it rattled all over the place so it was easy to see that there was no tension in it at all.

Have fun
Dom ;)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I just got a new spring from the local dealer for the Silverstone .................they got it within 2 days ;) :D along with a metal water pipe and a clutch pedal rubber :rolleyes: think she`s trying to get a new car bit by bit :rolleyes:

Btw there pretty easy to stretch and hook into place yer just need a pair of pliers ;) and if you aint got a pit or a ramp then jack the car up but put the jack under the axle ....................best place is below the spring this keeps the suspension compressed and makes it easier to fit the spring :D :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.