Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes are drilled and slotted with EBC red stuff pads, think its work getting braided brake lines?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I've bought braided hose line about 6 months ago and haven't fitted then yet, might get round to it at some point.

The discs and pads are new (OE) and work fine :thumbs:

Its a TS BTW

·
Registered
178 Posts
Advantage of braided lines is that the old lines, once a few years old, will swell when you apply the brakes so you lose efficiency. Also old lines have been known to deteriorate inside and the debris can cause blockages.

Only drawback of braided lines is that they can make the brakes feel a little wooden, but you soon get used to this so its win-win really.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Advantage of braided lines is that the old lines, once a few years old, will swell when you apply the brakes so you lose efficiency. Also old lines have been known to deteriorate inside and the debris can cause blockages.

Only drawback of braided lines is that they can make the brakes feel a little wooden, but you soon get used to this so its win-win really.
But GTVs standard brake feel is pretty rubbish... when I went from 156 to GTV test drive, I had to do a quick stop and it scared me how long and spongy the brake pedal was. I've just had a new master cylinder and 4 new brake lines, all new brake fluid etc and it's certainly no better! The only reason I didn't get braided was because I had my car in the shop and my mechanic just replaced them without first ringing me... (the car was in for an unknown brake problem which continued to persist even after brake line replacement which turned out to be the MC in the end)

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
My brakes are pretty good as standard and has a good firm pedal (albeit the beast hasn't done many miles, so it's quite "new" really).

Braided hoses don't offer a vast improvement over good rubber ones but if your regular hoses are the original ones (getting on 10 years old) then it's worth a swap in case they're starting to disintegrate. They do get more spongey as they get old and they can rot internally (causing binding).

Also fitting new hoses is a good excuse to give the brakes a proper and complete bleed, which is the main benefit.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've been through two sets of braided brake lines with the front set in both cases fraying at the crimp where the braided line meets the caliper. The rear ones are fine but I'v since gone back to rubber hoses on the front. Maybe I was unluckly but I won't be getting any more braided brake lines fitted to the front.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Hmmm, interesting thread, as I too was considering Goodrich hoses as the pedal feel is dreadful and sometimes scary. Pads have loads of meat left and discs were replaced last year all round. Feels pretty much as DAL32 says, spongy, long travel and not the best stopping power, especially with that V6 momentum up front. So anyway, was considering whether the relatively cheaper outlay of braided lines would help enough over getting performance pads, the main downside of these being the fact that they're damn expensive, for Ferodo DS pads and the like. Anybody tried the Brembo sport pads?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have heard of peoples braided lines fraying and even failing if the bend radius is made too small. You need to respect their inability to make a sharp turn...

Also, I knew someone who reported a knocking sound at full lock... I checked and his newly fitted braided lines were smacking against the alloys.

Anyway... I'm sure they're good and I'll replace my 15 year old rubber ones with braided sometime.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
From my experience you wont notice any difference between braided lines and good condition standard....but they do look nice!! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think the best upgrade is to get performance pads (and bed them in properly). I got Feredo DS2500 pads and braided hoses, and it's a huge difference.....

/Olle D

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
There's only two rules really:

1) If the brakes are spongey/long pedal travel try bleeding them.
2) If the hoses are old, fit new hoses (braided or rubber makes hardly any difference).

If you did all that, the pedal should not be spongey or long.

If your brakes are just rubbish (the car doesn't stop) then put DS2500 pads on there and you'll get immediately intimate with the inside of the windscreen.

DS2500 pads will not help if the pedal is soft or the system needs bleeding.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Fit braided lines, just make sure that they do not rub on the plastic inner wheel arch. The original rubber spacer (?) will no fit on the thinner braided lines, but you need something to stop them chaffing on the inner wheel arch. I made some up and cable tied them in place.

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
A few years ago I fitted Goodridge lines to my 155. I got bored (or it started raining) after doing just one side of the car. I drove around for about 6 weeks before I did the other side. Didn't notice any brake imbalance, even when using them hard, so can only assume they made no difference on my car. I have never fitted them to another car after that.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Go straight to HEL :)

Brake Line Kits : HEL Brake Lines - Stainless Steel Performance Car Brake Line And Brake Hose Kits Manufactured to the highest possible industry standards, Hel Car Kits

They make to order I believe so you can specify the colour and car type when you order. They also have an eBay shop I believe.

EDIT : They don't list the Spider as separate vehicle. Just go with 'GTV'.

EDIT again. Sorry, missed your location. Oz shop
HEL Performance Stainless Steel Motorcycle Brake Lines
I ordered my brake lines from HEL & it took them three goes before I got the correct fitting
ones, they where very friendly about it but I was getting fed up with them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts