Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently purchased a GT 3.2, nice car with the lovely Busso sound. Does need some TLC and during the cleaning of the engine I noticed that the bracket on top of the air filter box was broken, and immediately ordered a new. Did a filter change (from the top) and replaced the bracket today. BUT, really, it cannot be the only thing supporting that huge filter box? even after changing it, the box is still quite wiggly, and I assume that without further support, its just a matter of time before it breaks again. What am I missing here? there must be another support somewhere to keep this steady?

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 156 JTD 8v Veloce (2005)
270 Posts
Gravity and a couple of plastic pegs on the bottom. The whole box sits on a plate level with the bottom of the radiator support rail. The 2 pegs on the bottom of the air filter box locate onto 2 receiving holes in that plate. The bracket you mention, that fastens to the front edge of the battery tray, only stops the top 'flopping about'.

If you have the patience and the time, and can get the box out (there's not that much space to make it easy), the under side of the box is a damp trap and attracts rust. Prevention is better than cure where rust is concerned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gravity and a couple of plastic pegs on the bottom. The whole box sits on a plate level with the bottom of the radiator support rail. The 2 pegs on the bottom of the air filter box locate onto 2 receiving holes in that plate. The bracket you mention, that fastens to the front edge of the battery tray, only stops the top 'flopping about'.

If you have the patience and the time, and can get the box out (there's not that much space to make it easy), the under side of the box is a damp trap and attracts rust. Prevention is better than cure where rust is concerned.
Thanks a lot, I'll jack it up and have a look, and clean the area up.

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
464 Posts
It's by far the easiest to remove the air filter box, by removing under tray and wheel arch liner. Gives decent access, and you can drop it down the bottom. At least that's what I did on my 156 TS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts