Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, when i got my car the passenger side front subframe brace was missing it looks like the bolts snapped that held it on ,,, i checked the one on the drivers side and 2 of the bolts just turned and were loose but cant be tightend up i ended up takeing it of rather than rattle trouble is am i gonna cause any problems with them not being there cheers for any help or ideas on what to do

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I would imagine that it will reduce the stiffness of the shell and affect the handling.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I have been an enthusiastic, hands-on owner of a GTV and avid follower of this and other GTV forums for 8 years now but I don't know what you mean by a subframe brace. Got a pic?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I had to get a new one for mine as one was so rotten. It was about £50 2 years ago iirc. There's a pic of it in my project thread.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i agree,but unfortunately whoever had the car before had taken one off bolts snapped and the other one was loose bolts just turning and wont tighten up so im buggered tbh

·
Registered
13,391 Posts
From memory there are 4 bolts, which are 2 * 18mm and 2 * 19mm that secure the brace to the car.

I have no idea why Alfa decided that two different bolt sizes should be used but discovering this fact was enough to make me 1) swear 2) not forget this useless fact.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
toying with welding metal braces on cant see any other way at the moment theres none cant say i notice any diffrence in the way it drives

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wouldn't advise welding it. I wanted to get my subframe out to make life easy getting the gearbox off and I also run into problems shifting those bolts, ended up with a couple snapping. I drilled them out & ordered up one of these because I wanted to keep to the original size thread 26338 - VOELKEL - HAND TAP SET, HSS, GT, M10 X 1 | Farnell United Kingdom My tap set (from lidl :D also has the special sized drill bits for tapping) like most cheapies only has 10x1.5, lots of bits use 10x1.25 so worth getting - handy for cleaning up threads. I replaced the lot of the bolts on both sides with ones from my local bearingman, along with a few other bolts for the clutch it cost about a fiver :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Thats a point, that has to come off to change the wishbones - quite a regular event, done them 3 times in 78k miles - so don't weld it!!!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
toying with welding metal braces on cant see any other way at the moment theres none cant say i notice any diffrence in the way it drives
Get yourself a cheap set of broken screw extractors. Then you just need a good drill to wind them back out.

I got mine from Aldi. £3.99 and they have already defeated the 145's foglight bolts. Currently beaten by the GTV airbox lid but my drill is powerfull enough.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cheers for all the helpfull comments im going to my mates workshop soon and l will let him sort it out as hes fitting a new gearbox mount as theres loads of play in the old one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts