Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just after some quick advice.
I am about to fit a fully adjustable fk koni kit, and after advice on here will also fit full poly bush kit on the rear whilst I'm there.
I currently have a front upper brace as well, but after reading some threads on here regarding braces... I spottd all the other braces you can get. So was wondering if people think I should also consider all or any of these braces on

Alloy Wheels, Car Tuning and Car Styling at great prices
(type in alfa romeo spider, and scroll down to the bottom where all the ultaRacing braces are listed)
there is a front lower brace, mid lower brace, rear upper brace, 2 rear lower braces, and a rear anti roll bar. so 6 more I could possibly get.
Which would be the best, If I get one, do I really need to get them all? Also wondering if they would add anything/be necessary with the suspension and bushes I'm about to fit!? Might it all get a of a rough ride, or would the handling be brilliant?
look forward to hearing what people think
cheers

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Personally, unless you intend using as a dedicated track day car, I would just install the front upper. ......... Just my 2p worth.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Start with poly bushes and maybe change out front/rear drop links if not been done. The new shocks will make a big difference!! Get a 4 wheel alignment done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Personally, unless you intend using as a dedicated track day car, I would just install the front upper. ......... Just my 2p worth.
Hi, I fitted the UltraRacing front upper brace and it has made a difference. Handles like a dream now and very precise. Mind you I have also renewed front and rear shocks and springs as well :p

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great. Yeah I Thought getting all those braces might be a bit over kill for every day road use. I may get rear upper brace, just because I have one on the front. But yeah the new suspension kit and ploys on the rear should be great on their own

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
you absolutley, 100% DON'T need the rear brace. It is completely pointless on a GTV/spider.

The reason for this is because the suspension on rear is a complete assembly. it consists of 3 beams of solid aluminium and there is no flex at all. Between the rear wheels you also have 2 steel bulkheads that enclose the petrol tank within an A frame which is capped at the bottom with another steel sheet. Then you have the rear slam panel which adds rigity as well.

There is no need to add any more rigity to the back end, you will only be wasting money and adding weight.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi Guys,
I posted in the GTV/Spider Wheels thread, but wanted advice relating to a front suspension refresh and a wheel change... Sorry if this is a bit of a thread hijack, but it seems relevant with the braces and discussion of ride quality above...
Does the car need jacking to install a front engine bay strut brace?
I think I am going to have a go at changing my shocks, springs (all original at present and car is a 2001...!) plus the nearside wishbone as the drivers side is new (replaced for MoT). I might do the drop llinks aswell 'while I'm there'. Is there anything else I should look to change as a matter of course? I want the suspension to be at its best as I am looking to fit some new 17 inch alloys in the new year and want it to ride as well as possible...

Thanks for any advice guys!

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Make sure the front ARB and its bushes are in good order too Cluffstar. And no you dont need the front jacked to install upper front brace although on some braces people do have to drill new holes in securing the brace to the struts.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Good point... Is it possible to check the condition of the bushes while they are in situ? Is it correct that should they need changing then the crossrail between the two sides would need to come out?

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
You can check them by just taking wheel off and examine in situ, they are easily replaced and the one part of the front suspension that is worth powerflexing. If you are going to powerflex the ARB then the two mounting bushes can be powerflexed and mean that you need to unbolt from subframe. Personally, i didn't powerflex the arb mounts I just powerflex ed the bushes to the suspension arms which was a quick and easy job as the arb remained in. place.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ok, a couple of other questions now...!
So the arb mounting bushes can be replaced, but I can't see them on the power flex website...? Is it possible to do the arbs with 'normal' bushes? I think I'll give them a go only if they look perished (which in all likelihood they will if they're original!)
For the wishbones - I think given I have the other as normal i'll do the same on the passenger side. Is there any advantage to power flexing? I've read to not Powerflex the front but I guess I could be getting confused about a different set of bushes?
So my list should be:
- new struts / shock absorbers
- new kyb springs
- new near side wishbone
- new drop links
- possibly arb bushes
- new wheels and tyres! :eek:

Any other thoughts or details nuts, bolts, washers, spacers etc I should get while I'm at it?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Any ideas on where to source Arb bushes? I've had a look on the 'bay but the only ones I seem to find are for v6s....?

·
Registered
942 Posts
That's a great price! But I meant the bushes for the anti roll bar connecting to the cross rail?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts