Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading of new thing being dropped on the Autobahn - GLK V12, the fastest SUV all times - 200 mph in a SUV??

Although I dislike Mercedes in most of situations, and recently I showed my disgust with people who buy X5 M, ML AMG and Q7s, as well as SUVs generally - I have always liked the Brabus brutality. Mostly. My case is that overriched people, daddy daughters and loaded houseviwes buy X5/ML/Q7/etc. cars, and that Brabus is a bit more oriented to buyers that really go for exclusivity and performance. Its like a holly place for people who want Benz, but dont want to look like Benz drivers. Something like BMW and Alpina.

I remember my 1st impression with Brabus - It was a W210 E-Klasse with a 7.3 liter V12 and 580 bhp - I was :wow: seeing it go beyound the LAST 320 km/h mark on the speedo (something tells me its a marketing, too, but what the heck, it was impressive).

Also, I was amazed with R129 SL with the same engine.

Its not always :thumbs:, but sometimes this Brabus really amazes me with brutality and distinctive approach. Not that I would drive one of these, it still reminds me of tasteless waste of money, but it is a bit less tasteless than going for AMGs or X5 M...

YouTube - VIDEO VBOX Nardo 2009 Brabus GLK V12

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Impressively pointless IMHO.

G

·
I would imagine that it is fairly useless off road because with all that torque and those turbos it'll spin all 4 wheels in a fairly useless fashion on anything other than bone dry tarmac. Going downhill it'll generate so much engine braking that it'll lock the wheels. Either that or some clever electronics will keep the throttle open and you'll be going so fast at the bottom of the incline that its butt-ugly nose will carve a crater like the grand canyon. This makes it purely a road car so why base it on a ruddy great big heavy tall 4x4? In just about every situation, something like an M5 or an XJR will be better suited to just about every job asked of it.

Completely and utterly stupid and pointless.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I agree with keithboy I'm afraid clubber. SUVs are horrible anyway & a Clarkson's comment to the SL on Top Gear saying absolute does corrupt absolutely is true. What's the point of it if the elctronics will hamper everything? It's just too much power in too big a car that wasn't really designed with speed in mind. I don't care how stable aerodynamics they can get, I would bet anything over 160mph is scary in an SUV

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with keithboy I'm afraid clubber. SUVs are horrible anyway & a Clarkson's comment to the SL on Top Gear saying absolute does corrupt absolutely is true. What's the point of it if the elctronics will hamper everything? It's just too much power in too big a car that wasn't really designed with speed in mind. I don't care how stable aerodynamics they can get, I would bet anything over 160mph is scary in an SUV
I was missunderstood a bit - I couldnt hate SUVs more! Specialy these power things. Its useless waste of energy and power... My point here was Brabus as a tuning company, they kind of stand out by their brutality in making cars and still keeping them alltogether well balanced... And as a way to go for people who still want Benz, but want something disctinctive. Not thatI want Benz, I hate its image.

And if would ever go for Brabus, it sure would not go with SUV.

And what was Clarksons point? I missed that one, cant remember?

G

·
I was missunderstood a bit - I couldnt hate SUVs more! Specialy these power things. Its useless waste of energy and power... My point here was Brabus as a tuning company, they kind of stand out by their brutality in making cars and still keeping them alltogether well balanced... And as a way to go for people who still want Benz, but want something disctinctive. Not thatI want Benz, I hate its image.

And if would ever go for Brabus, it sure would not go with SUV.

And what was Clarksons point? I missed that one, cant remember?
It's not a dig mate. I think we can all see the appeal of monster horsepower and Brabus seem to fulfil that more than adequately. However, I understand that Tom Cruise is a fan so that sort of puts me off.

Clarkson drove a Brabus SL with much the same engine and the conclusion he came to was that it just had too much power because as soon as you give it some gas the rear tyres just unload and pour out smoke. It's far too big and heavy to be a good base for a supercar. To Illustrate, here are the top gear lap times:

Gumpert Apollo 1.17.1
Ascari A10 1.17.3
Koenigsegg CCX 1.17.6
Noble M600 1.17.7
Pagani Zonda F Roadster 1.17.7
Caterham R500 1.17.9
Bugatti Veyron 1.18.3
Maserati MC12 1.18.9
Ariel Atom 1.19.5
Lamborghini LP560 1.19.5
Ferrari Scuderia 1.19.7
Nissan GT-R 1.19.7
Lamborghini LP640 1.19.8
Porsche Carerra GT 1.19.8
Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4
Corvette ZR1 1.20.4
Mercedes McLaren SLR 1.20.9
Ferrari 599GTB 1.21.2
Audi R8 V10 1.21.6
Ford GT 1.21.9
Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3
Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
Corvette Z06 1.22.4
Mercedes SL Black 1.23.0
Aston Martin DBS 1.23.93
Veritas RS III 1.24.2
Prodrive P2 1.24.3
Audi R8 1.24.4
TVR Sagaris 1.24.6
Mitsubishi Evo FQ400 1.24.8
TVR Tuscan 1.24.8
Lotus Exige S 1.25.1
BMW M3 Saloon 1.25.3
Porsche Cayman 1.26.2
Porsche 911 Carrera 2S 1.26.2
Brabus Biturbo Roadster 1.26.2

The cars with more power are highlighted. There are cars on that list giving away more than 400BHP to the SL because they are lighter and better suited to the job. Merc SLs are meant for Dale Winton to go shopping for fake tan in. Sticking over 700 horses in one just means he'll crash before he gets there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts