Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start this again as I think the original was lost when the site changed.

I'd been running my car on Optimax for 18 months with my Squadra. Recently I tried BP Ultimate and thought the car was better, more power, smoother etc especially in mid range and high revs. After 2 tankfulls and about 600 miles the car was really going well.

Last fill up I tried Optimax again. Within about 50 miles, the car seemed to have lost it's urgency and back to how I remembered it with Optimax before.

It seems that my car performs better with BP Ultimate. Next fill up I'm gonna put it in again and see if I can regain what felt like a different car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used both and can't see a differance between them, perhaps I do need that Squadra Chip then. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek: I'm rather a creature of habit and as there's an Optimax dispensary just up the road that's what I fill the purple thing with,goes fine on it too.
:eek: The nearest BP is about a mile away.Being a 24 hour jobby its crawling with 17 yr old twats in nova's and 15 yr old single mothers in large groups so I try to avoid the place if possible. :mad:
............ ;) If I see a genteel looking BP on my travels I will endeavour to sample their premium product though :p :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
daiblack said:
perhaps I do need that Squadra Chip then. :D
:D Highly recommended........................................And I thought about it for a year or so before buying one........Do it,you'll love it :D :p :)
............And you can support the site by buying from A.O(You know that already,naturally) :cool:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I filled up with BPs super duper today after using optimax recently, and have noticed a big improvement over shell, and that was an improvemrnt over 95 ron unleaded. But at 82p a litre its a tad expensive.

Thats for the pleasure of living by the sea in Butt **** nowheres ville I suppose :(

Lee

And does the squadra do much for a boggo 2.0 16v?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it's not just my imagination then.
The BP stations are cheaper than Shell here, so that's a bonus :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I also think I run better on ultimate than optimax which also felt better than normal petrol , only prob is my nearest BP is a Bypass service station so its 85p :eek: a litre and optimax is 80p :eek: litre (bloody stratford upon bloody avon)

·
Registered
275 Posts
My car definately runs better with Ultimate than Optimax.
I am sure i read that Ultimate is refined to 98RON, whereas Optimax is steroid induced to 98RON

·
Registered
540 Posts
Oh, thank goodness for that!
I'm sooooo glad someone else thinks BP is better than Optimax!
:D
I've said this for a while and everyone tells me it's my imagination and looks at me as though I'm barmy!!
But it really does make a difference... honest...
:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems funny to me that there is a differance and that the BP product comes out best as their website lists ultimate as 97Ron :confused: . That said I noticed a differance last night when I filled up with Optimax after several weeks using Ultimate and the car seemed to hunt for a minute or so on start up, I guess it doesn't like the change. :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wait till you've done a few miles....I think you might notice a drop in performance too.
As you say, Optimax is supposed to be the highest octane rating of the two, yet it seems Ultimate is better. I've never really noticed a difference between fuels before. Even changing from normal unleaded to Optimax (before I squadra'd up) didn't produce such a startling difference.

·
Administrator
47,104 Posts
I've heard someone puit forward the theory that while optimax has a higher octane, BP have got the better additives. I don't know the ins and outs, but I think that octane rating, while a good indicator of quality, isn't the be all and end all of the matter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi have hi jacked 155 thread but run a 146ti.yes bp utimate the best fuel on an alfa engine have driven nearly 3000 miles on it.the only fuel better is shell v-power 101 octane available only in germany.filled car up on this several times when i took my bella to salzburg for a holiday & did grand tour of germany holland and belgium 3000 miles in 2 weeks.i drive 400-500 miles a week in my bella using bp ulimate i have seen a 2 mpg improvement in fuel consumption over optimax.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't noticed a difference in MPG, but my MPG is the same as during the summer and in winter it normally drops slightly or perhaps I'm using my right foot more? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
363 Posts
daiblack said:
I haven't noticed a difference in MPG, but my MPG is the same as during the summer and in winter it normally drops slightly or perhaps I'm using my right foot more? :rolleyes:
I noticed the car slightly more thirsty when really cold, but when you have rear de mister on, heating etc, its bound to affect it.

But when I use bp super ul I can drive the car harder than standard ul without useing any more fuel.
Im so tempted to get a squadra chip too, but little worried how easy to fit?

Lee

1 - 20 of 35 Posts