·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bit of a long drive from west yorkshire:D

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Why is it better? Octane boost + regular unleaded won't get you anywhere near 102 (although I doubt the engine would take advantage of it anyway...), doubt it would even get you up to 97RON, and will cost more than super unleaded (97 RON)

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can get additives that can boost it up to 15 RON if you desire. NOS do one although it does say "For Track Use" as I would imagine it pushes your emissions through the roof as its based on nitro methane. So yes it can be done and I tried it in a 05 1.4 16v Punto Sporting adding it to Shell V-Power which is already 100RON and it was noticeably more powerful with no flat spots anymore.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
You will be waisting your money if you do get 102 octane petrol, I've not looked but I think it is about £2/L.
It is marketed as a race or trackday fuel, but strangely the website says they you can't purchase more than 23L in Jerry cans, which wouldn't be enough for an average 20minute club race + 15mins practise.

In truth they are probably aiming at the kid in a 1.2 Nova market!

Edit: just found the price on their website: £2.42 per litre.
So that is £152.46 for a tank full...
Don't bother though, your engine will not make any more power unless it is specifically tuned to make use of the higher octane.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah sort of defeats the point of it. I cant tell much difference in mine using 95 or 97RON it is better using 100RON v power though its a lot smoother.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
my 147 runs like a bad of nails on normal 95 RON fuel, runs absolutely brilliant on the super unleaded 97 RON but any higher than 99 she starts to get very hesitant... probably because the entire thing has been built to run on 97!

would be interesting to see what a remap to take the 102 would produce tho!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
marko said:
my 147 runs like a bad of nails on normal 95 RON fuel, runs absolutely brilliant on the super unleaded 97 RON but any higher than 99 she starts to get very hesitant... probably because the entire thing has been built to run on 97!

would be interesting to see what a remap to take the 102 would produce tho!
By just changing the fuel on a porsche test car it increased bhp by 30bhp. Can't remember where i read it though.

:(

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Must admit that I was originally dubious about using 97+octane fuels in my 156. However, because some people here recommended it I gave it ago and have found that you do appear to get better mpg then with 95octane whiuch actually makes it cheaper to run - especially as I don't have to bother with putting fuel injector cleaner in anymore.

As for performance differences can't really say it noticeable but at the same time I understand on certain turbo cars it can give a big differance.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
My GTV runs very well on V-Power, don't know if I'd fork out the £2 a litre for the BP 102 octane petrol though :eek:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Been using V-power for a few months with 99RON, better mileage, don't know about more horses though...

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
ChrisUK said:
You can get additives that can boost it up to 15 RON if you desire. NOS do one although it does say "For Track Use" as I would imagine it pushes your emissions through the roof as its based on nitro methane. So yes it can be done and I tried it in a 05 1.4 16v Punto Sporting adding it to Shell V-Power which is already 100RON and it was noticeably more powerful with no flat spots anymore.
Must admit, I didn't realise you could get any additivies with that level of RON boost; I thought 2-3 was the norm. Are you saying that V-Power + NOS gives 115?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah it is quite impressive but £20ish for a bottle that treats a tank of fuel but its great fun! :). I can remember putting it in a 1.2 8v and it transformed it must of added at least 15bhp as it pulled up hills when it had it :).

·
Registered
253 Posts
GhostyDog said:
By just changing the fuel on a porsche test car it increased bhp by 30bhp. Can't remember where i read it though.

:(
Porsche has mapped the cars from factory in favour of 97 octane but the ECU can knock the timing back for lower grade fuel.

Making statements in general whether a fuel is giving more or less performance is rather difficult. And with one tank load of a different fuel no conclusion can be drawn because of cross contamination of different additives. It is known that when Optimax is mixed 1:1 with leaded four start petrol that the resulting Octane rating is higher (101) than the individual octane ratings of the two fuels being used.

Without going to deep in to the matter, different fuels suit different engine developments and even ambient conditions. The base maps play their part in it too.

·
Registered
610 Posts
All fair and well but we used 102 octane for racing bikes. Now a totally tuned motor would have the timing changed and the compression increased to run on the stuff. In South Africa we run 97 octane fuel in the car. One day coming home from a race i ran out of petrol so i used the old race fuel. It burnt a hole right through a piston and melted the valves, went like **** though!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
ChrisUK said:
Yeah it is quite impressive but £20ish for a bottle that treats a tank of fuel but its great fun! :). I can remember putting it in a 1.2 8v and it transformed it must of added at least 15bhp as it pulled up hills when it had it :).
Cool, might try it in the RX7 :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts