Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the 33 (1.7 16v) gets warmer than usual, e.g. in slow moving traffic, sometimes when you try to accelerate it won't 'go' properly and is accompanied with a strange sort of knocking noise. Once it gets a little bit cooler the noise disappears and performance is restored.

I have some new oil ready to go in in case it's getting too thin at high temperatures, but suspect that won't solve it because the oil that's in (fully-synth) has only done 3000 easy miles.

One other thing I want to try is cleaning out the crankcase breather system, but what does that entail? (in laymans terms please!). I asked the garage to do this last service, but forgot to check whether they remembered or not.

Or, any other ideas?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
you said in a thread a while back you where getting smoke out the exhaust(what colour was the smoke). Is the oil cap clean or is thier white sludge on it and is it losing water? Also is it drinking oil?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nordic,

Yes, I have noticed a very small amount of black smoke odd times when following the car. It hasn't used any oil since the new lot was put in 3000 miles ago just after Tracee bought it. There is no white sludge in the filler and no water is being lost.

Do you suspect something? It did get pretty hot a few times in the summer, hope nothing happened to the head gaskets :confused:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly,
But more likely than not its
running rich.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't say how many miles she's done, had
similar with my V6 101,000 miles bit of piston
flap + a bit of bottom end knock with selinia.
cured now.read oil on this forum and a cheque in the post. only joking best of luck.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
BW There tough old motors them boxer engines i caved the sump in on my old sud and it started knocking eek! turned out it was the bottom of the conrod hitting the sump eek! it still ran for a few thousand miles before i swapped the sump :rolleyes:

Anyway bak to your problem try changing the oil to Semi rather than fully synthetic as fully`s like water when it`s cold never mind when it`s hot and might be getting pumped round that quick when it`s hot it`s not doing it`s job properly especially if your`s has done a few miles wink

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys. The car has done 85,000 and has always been run on fully synth (well, allegedly, but I think it's true and has been done regularly as it was previously owned by the guy who arranges the classifieds in the AROC mag) . I'll swap what I just bought for semi-synth then and give that a go.

Any ideas on cleaning the oil breather?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my old 75 ts which had blown head gasket the mechanic took the breather off and put it in a
bucket of some type of cleaner? it was full of
gunk. on the 75 l think its got a small filter
attached in a black cylinder to the left of the
top of the engine. haven't a clue on the 33 if
its simlar , doubt it, l had a sud once but
couldn't see the engine for rust.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe you could remove the pipe(s) and spray some of that carb cleaner stuff down them. This stuff will dissolve/blast any oily deposits. I used this to clean off bits of funky oil around the filler cap and it removes all sorts of stuck on gunk from the engine. Much easier than scrubbing and washing (the engine, not me).

M

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might be a long shot, but many cars have a cut out when the engine overheats, yours might be trying to cut in hence no power, the knocking could be just a sympton, boxer motors tend to sound like their knocking if you try to drive with no revs (like dropping the clutch from standstill in 4th gear), at least all mine have.

Unless you're thrashing the engine all the time, fully synth is a waste of money for your engine.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless you're thrashing the engine all the time, fully synth is a waste of money for your engine.
hmmm, does 50 miles/day at 80 - 100 mph in 4th gear count as thrashing eek! (Why do girls have so much trouble with 5th gear!!!???)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi,

dont laugh, but I think that the exhaust headers (or whatever the first part of the exhaust is called) are loose, just a bit, so if the bolts get very hot, they extend a little and the exhaust gases blow through the gaskets - thats the sound.

Give it a try, worked wonder on my car...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts