Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

The law states the following about Box Junctions:

Rule 150: Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see Other road markings section). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.
Law TSRGD regs 10(1) & 29(2)

At the bottom of my road there is a very busy junction to a main road, this is a Box Junction, every morning I need to turn right to join the main road and every morning when I sit on the box junction indicating right, and waiting for a gap in the traffic, some halfwit numpty wazzock tries to start a fight with me.

LEARN THE F*&$ING HIGHWAY CODE YOU [email protected]

--------------- Sod It Point ----------------

Ahhh, that's better, see attached for more info. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People should really be required to re-sit a driving test every 5 years.
I'd be up for that, if meant everybody was singing from the same hymn sheet, but it seems there are 'many' versions of the Highway Code, some are even so secret only one person knows about them.

Like the lady this morning who was sat next to me in traffic lights in the 'I'm turning right here lane' and then proceeded to go straight forwards and into my lane, right where I was sat. Luckily I was in second gear and a quick prod of the right foot negated any mangling of metal. :)

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Yes.. but to be fair that picture is a perfect example of a box junction.

Most of the ones I see on my way to work are just big enough for a single car at a time. If you sat in it indicating right, you block the junction.

I dunno what your box looks like :)eek:) but as a motorcycle training instructor once told me, "There's no point in being in the right, if you're also in the cemetary". Maybe if most people really don't get it, it's best to "go with the flow" and stay out of the box.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
People should really be required to re-sit a driving test every 5 years.
I am in agreement with you about this one.

If nothing else, it might make people think twice about their road-craft, and (with any luck) discourage some of the "really don't give a damn about cars or other car drivers" type of people.

Too many people take driving for granted. :tut:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Ghosty... I see this every evening and morning as I walk to & from my digs to work !!

Certain people - and their numbers are growing daily - seem to think that any aspect of the Highway Code, Red Traffic Lights, yellow boxes/keep clear zones or any other road markings aren't applicable to them !! :mad:

The new mobile phones laws aren't having an affect either... last night I counted 16 people using their phone whilst driving, that's in a distance of 2 miles !! :mad: :rant:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dunno what your box looks like :)eek:)
I should hope not too, the box is only on one lane of the road as this is a T Junction. There is visibility for about 75 meters in the direction of traffic coming from the right, and visibility of about half a mile for traffic coming from the left (whilst sat at the junction waiting to turn right). I will say that this is also a 30 mph limit as the main road goes through the middle of the village I live in.

I only go out on to the box when I can see nothing is coming from the right but the torrent of cars travelling in to town from the left often mean I don't get a gap before a car has come from the right. It's not like I just pull out and expect everyone to stop, I am a little conscientious when pulling into the box.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have this exact same thing at the end of my street - they see me and just stop over the junction. It may save them 3 seconds in the long run but I could be stuck there for 10 minutes+ waiting! I've been tempted a few times to shout at the morons involved :(

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
My next rant was going to be about oncoming cars turning across me at traffic lights and not going round the back when I'm waiting to turn right. I feel just as good and as if it was my rant! Thanks!

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My next rant was going to be about oncoming cars turning across me at traffic lights and not going round the back when I'm waiting to turn right. I feel just as good and as if it was my rant! Thanks!
Oh dear, it's perfectly legal to do that, when I was looking up the box junction thing the page had the rule that states there are 2 accepted means of treating a junction where 2 cars meet as you describe, although going around the back of the other car is safest as you can see all the traffic coming, the splitting and moving ahead is also accepted.

Sorry to take the edge off your rant mate :(

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Suspected as much, someone who'd read the highway code much more recently thanme said they didn't recall 'round the back' as being 'correct'.
Suppose I'd better apologise now to everyone out there I've been mouthing at.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Suspected as much, someone who'd read the highway code much more recently thanme said they didn't recall 'round the back' as being 'correct'.
Suppose I'd better apologise now to everyone out there I've been mouthing at.
I suppose it just highlight's that none of us are infallible and it's a good idea to have a read through to re-familiarise yourself with the code once in a while, not so you can point the finger and say you drive like **** to other road users but more from a developing and re-affirming your own road skills point of view?

N

·
0 Posts
With the number of people who keep turning right
at a roundabout when they're in the left lane
and I'm in the right lane going straight-on:

(Edit: Translation into English:
With the number of people who keep turning left
at a roundabout when they're in the right lane
and I'm in the left lane going straight-on:

)

I'm seriously considering getting a shed for
a few months (soft-top Series IIIA Landy?)
and just totalling every one of the ****ers!

:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
a few months (soft-top Series IIIA Landy?) and just totalling every one of the ****ers!
Now that is a fecking good idea !! :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
114,698 Posts
With the number of people who keep turning right
at a roundabout when they're in the left lane
and I'm in the right lane going straight-on:

(Edit: Translation into English:
With the number of people who keep turning left
at a roundabout when they're in the right lane
and I'm in the left lane going straight-on:

)

a few months (soft-top Series IIIA Landy?)
and just totalling every one of the ****ers!

:mad::mad::mad:

Good to see you are in top form Nev ;) :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts