Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI chaps - got an irritating issue.

When coasting out of gear on depressed clutch the rev counter slowly bouces to just above the solid mark below 1k (just before stall) to above 1k - up and down up and down until I stop or engage a gear. It's been doing it for ages.

I have just had the 72K service done and a new variator. Tonight I took the maf out and cleaned with solvent. Still the same (but throttle response improved after the maf clean). The garage also reset the ECU.

Because it the fault appears when the wheels are rotating (but not in gear) it appears it's something telling something else this and that something is telling the car something dodgey (now thats technical speak for you).

Any ideas!!??

·
Registered
665 Posts
Did you try it with the MAF disconnected.

Also look for airleaks after the MAF. Sometimes there's a tear in the duct that leads from the MAF to the throttle body. ALso check for airleaks in the exhaust.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi at that sort of mileage the fault could be the idle actuator or even your throttle body could just need resetting?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi at that sort of mileage the fault could be the idle actuator or even your throttle body could just need resetting?
Are these things I could do myself. As you can see I have just spent a fortune on her and I dont want to spend any more money!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi the job it self is not to bad just your induction pipe of and take out the bolts that hold the throttle body on the actuator is helt in place by three small torque bolts you can still by the kits to repair the fault. If you want you could try ressetting by just foot on throttle to floor then switch on ignition and count to 10 do this about a dozen times and do not take your foot of the throttle, then do the same with your foot of the throttle this sometimes works try this before you try replacing the actuator, hope this helps!!!!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
You may have a dirty throttle butterfly which is very common and you can clean it by disconnecting the rubber air intake pipe and using carb cleaner to get off all of the gunk particularly in the top and bottom area of the butterfly (the circular metal plate in the throat of the body).

Your car will probably seem like its worse now so disconnect the battery for 20-30 minutes to reset the ecu.

Drive around for a few days and the car will learn the proper behaviour.

Alternatively, have a search for idle actuator as this could be the problem and there are lots of tips on what to do.

A good clean is still worth doing though :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Good point Chris.

The idel actuator is on the side of the throttle body....sometimes if you tap it the revs will jump about indicating it's faulty. Another idea....throttle potentiometer.

·
Registered
38,294 Posts
If the revs fluctuate only slightly it could be a lambda sensor issue.
Simon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Guys, thanks for the advice in these posts, even though i didnt start the thread. My '97 GTV 2.0TS has just started doing the same thing. It jumps around though even when in gear which makes slow reverse parking a real roller-coaster ride! All this talk of MAF, idle control vale and throttle body sounds great, but can anyone recommend a good amnual for the GTV? I have always used Haynes in the past for other cars, but i would love some advice from the real experts- you guys!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Cleaning the throttle body ended up with mine idling at 2000 revs until I could get it reset, which didn't work with the key on, key off thing no matter how many times I tried it.. had to use Alfadiag.

Checked, cleaned and double checked everything else, but the link above did the trick perfectly for me and the car has been great ever since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts