Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Last weekend I picked up a 1978 Alfetta Gt 1600 for small money. It is in regular condition, didn't have the carbs in since it's ex owner had the brilliant idea of fitting 1 webber idf with a custom manifold for better fuel consumption and had sold the old dellorto's. Nothing else missing fortunately. Another ex owner has resprayed it and changed its colour too, you'll see what i'm talking about on the photos.

I have found some rust all round the car, little spots, nothing serious. The lower part of it seems to be well with no rust and no evidence of any big crashes.

My first problem was last night. I have bought two dhla 40 dellorto carbs from a friend, they are in working condition, just pulled them out from a GTV. I took the old carb with the manifold out of my car, and when I started to look around i realised that i don't have the original throttle linkage since most of it has been modified to fit the other vertical carb and manifold.

Can anyone help me with this, maybe a diagram or photo to use as orientation when i rebuild it?

On the other hand on monday i'm taking her to the doctor and changing clutch, engine/transmission mounts, bearings, flex joints, brakes and exhaust system. So most of the work will be done next week. Once i have the mechanic part in good nick i'll start with the interior and paintwork!

Thanks for your help and i'll keep you posted on any progress on the car!

Here are some pics

F

·
0 Posts
My very first car in South Africa was a Alfetta GT 1800 although it had the gtv rear side covers fitted. It is now sitting rotting somewhere in sunny SA.
She was a stunning car and handled really well and had the classic Speedo in the middle of the dash as 'a real driver uses the engine revs and does not need to see the speedo' or so I was told.

I envy you as they are truly special, i loved doing the servicing and retuning/balancing the carbs as it was a labour of love.

I wish you the very best in owning and running her.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
snip!

She was a stunning car and handled really well and had the classic Speedo in the middle of the dash as 'a real driver uses the engine revs and does not need to see the speedo' or so I was told.
snip
Nice 'baby poo' colour Alfa Romeo,obviously resprayed by someone with great taste....;)
Unfortunately here in Australia we ended up having the Speedo in front of the driver and the Tacho in the centre of the car.........:(

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice 'baby poo' colour Alfa Romeo,obviously resprayed by someone with great taste....;)
Unfortunately here in Australia we ended up having the Speedo in front of the driver and the Tacho in the centre of the car.........:(
I can't believe they did that!! Why??

Yes, the colour is certainly not up to Alfa Romeo standards, hope for the one who resprayed it that i don't meet him...

Nice car. Have fun restoring her. :)
Believe me, i am already!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chris,

I have just pulled off my delortto's to rebuild the engine for my trackday Alfetta. The linkage runs underneath the carbs with a single join point in between the 2 carbs. This linkage from the factory is plastic and I would recommend replacing this with a metal one from alfaholics.com.au in the UK, I will.

What sort of Alfa Owner replaces 2 delortto's with a single carb? Sorry, can't figure that one out......

Good luck

Binovsky

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Chris,

I have just pulled off my delortto's to rebuild the engine for my trackday Alfetta. The linkage runs underneath the carbs with a single join point in between the 2 carbs. This linkage from the factory is plastic and I would recommend replacing this with a metal one from alfaholics.com.au in the UK, I will.

What sort of Alfa Owner replaces 2 delortto's with a single carb? Sorry, can't figure that one out......

Good luck

Binovsky
Believe me, lots of people do it and sell them. A decent pair of dellortos here goes for almost U$D2000!

Brief update, lots of work going on:

New radiator (found it at a spares shop in its original alfa romeo box!)

New radiator fan

New brake discs (drilled) & Pads

Throttle linkage fully rebuilt (got spares from a wrecked gtv)

Ignition coil and distributor changed

Gearbox completely serviced , no more crunching 2nd gear!:)

New clutch

New engine & Gearbox mounts

Gearbox seals changed

New flex joints

Center propshaft bearing changed

Still waiting for

New exhaust manifold, and full exhaust system.

New shocks

Full engine tune up

Will post pictures of the jobs done tomorrow!

Thanks for the advise guys!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some pictures of the work thas has been going on last week. Sory for the picture quality, cel phone camera...

Rear part of the car without the transmission

No engine over here....

Here it is!

Carbs&Manifold

Some of the things that came in and out of the car

Gearbox bits

This is how the car looks like for the moment...

Ill keep you posted on whats going on, seems that the car will be running by the end of the week, i'll try it out for some days and then will take it apart again for it to be resprayed.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Why would you pull out a perfectly good set of Dellorhtos and replace it with a single weber? Beyond me.

And why respray it another colour apart from the original red ?

I dont think the previous person was a true Alfisti. Maybe hes an Audi owner experimenting with Italian cars :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts