Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought another car... A Porsche 718 RSK Replica built on a space-frame chassis with a mid-mounted VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port engine with the 4-speed gearbox at the back.

I've been interested in getting a 550/718 replica for a while, and this one came up for sale from a friend's gf's dad. He built it with the intent of racing it, but never got round to it after being put on early pension due to medical reasons. It's running a swing-axle at the back with custom suspension with coilovers, with ball-joint Beetle suspension in the front with Bilstein shocks. It also uses '67 Beetle disc brakes up front, with standard Beetle drums at the back.

It's a hoot to drive, although slow thanks to the Beetle motor. The thrust bearing came off the fork as well, so I took the gearbox off yesterday, got a new thrust bearing today and am busy putting everything back together.

I'll look at how I can get more power from this motor, or what other engine options there are... I like the air-cooled motor for this, but need more power.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
soooo pretty

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cool... now all you need is a one of the late alfa boxers engines :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Nice 1 .....

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
R118 for the thrust bearing and a few hours of graft and it's back on the road. One thing I like about this thing is it's probably the simplest car ever. I basically fixed it myself with some assistance from a friend who is even more useless than me with a spanner. I foresee lots of joyrides ;)

Sud motor would be nice, but it's water-cooled and there isn't lots of space for plumbing in the front. 2 liter Kombi motor, they are heavy beasts. There is a 2.1 liter Kombi motor which is water cooled lying at Trackman's house, which will probably be the cheapest option of going more power now... but also heavy and water cooled.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Very good looking :thumbup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I remember some guys put the radiator in the rear... with some issues. While googling I found the following link with engine options, it might be helpful for you: Why Subaru Engines?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
flat six VW aka-Porsche should fit. plus it will be injected so you wont have to deal with those PITA solex carbs and and and

has it got a pertronix/other electronic dizzy in?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I've been interested in getting a 550/718 replica for a while, and this one came up for sale from a friend's gf's dad. He built it with the intent of racing it, but never got round to it after being put on early pension due to medical reasons. It's running a swing-axle at the back with custom suspension with coilovers, with ball-joint Beetle suspension in the front with Bilstein shocks. It also uses '67 Beetle disc brakes up front, with standard Beetle drums at the back.
The twin port(per head) engines can be work quite a bit with a twinchoke IDA Weber(or two injectors) on each bank. The 1600 is the long stroke motor and there where a 2.4 ltr sleeve kit for those in the '70s.

They are very light. The best handling one I saw had a defuser under the nose. A meter long, meter wide, 40mm high funnel with 50mm wide partitions running through it.

I looked at the RSK kit long ago. For my the let down was that there is no way to get a top on it and then get into the car.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Scat etc make/made great stokers, your wallet thickness (as always) determines the limit on performance from the air-cooled motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts