Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this should be an experience....

Having been thwarted in my pursuit of a throbbing hunk of a car by MrsDibnah's new found zest for property which we will never use - I went a bit bonkers yesterday and did two things I didn't think I would do:

1. Purchased a (slightly used) car entirely on the internet via Cazoo (to be delivered in a Cazoo van next Friday between 12-2)
2. That car is a Peugeot 208 GT EV (March 2020 car, 3, 600 miles on the clock, a lot of kit in the spec)

So, that's all kind of crazy isn't it!?!

The buying experience on Cazoo was pretty slick. Took probably 30 minutes end to end including getting 7 day insurance and taxing it (albeit for free). I have an email inbox full of docs I have to read and e-sign before Wednesday lunchtime so will do that tonight. I didn't do finance or p/x - so I've no idea what that would be like online.

As for buying an EV, I just felt that I couldn't live with my dull as you like Audi A4 any longer and just spotted the e-208 GT on a Youtube video and made a snap decision after a bit of online research. Part of it is because they've sort of pulled off the back end of my beloved 205 GTi look from the 1970s on it, and partly because I just feel like I want to try the EV experience and this is an affordable entry point (I Paid 26k).

I shall now spend a few weekends tarting up a few parking dings on the A4 before outing it privately. WBAC offered online 16,500 which is remarkable considering I paid 18,000 for it almost 3 years ago. I mean I know they'll knock a grand off on the handover inspection (even with the dings done), but I was expecting 12-13k if I'm honest.

So now I look forward to seeing what a car delivery will be like with Cazoo, and I have to sort out a home charger, and learn how to live with an EV, and I need to sell my Audi privately.

Busy but exciting times!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Enjoy! Peugeot seem to have the range/price/toys ratio nicely sorted (along with the Vauxhall Corsa which is broadly the same car) .

I had my first electric experience a few weeks ago in a Mustang Mach-E. Very nice. But not £60k nice.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Re the charging point. Extension lead covered in a Sainsbury's Waitrose carrier bag. Job jobbed.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re the charging point. Extension lead covered in a Sainsbury's Waitrose carrier bag. Job jobbed.
I will be interested to see what lead it turns up with. According to Peugeot they supply from anew a Type 2 to Type 2 lead for a charger. No 3 Pin Plug option.

On Youtube, however, most owners seem to say that their cars arrived with a Type 2 to 3 Pin cable.

Will refrain from buying anything until car arrives on Friday and I see what it's got. I have an external covered wall socket on the drive so if it doesn't come with a 3 Pin version I can get one off Amazon Prime next day.

I on't be having any sort of fixed charge point put in until I decide if I like the whole EV thang

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I presume they don’t send the (V5?) paperwork off to the DVLA until after the cooling off period so they don’t end up with a 5 owner, 18 month old 3 series….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40,610 Posts
I am interested in how this work out as i have thought about buying from Cazoo as well. Cinch and Carzam were the others. (Heard bad things about Carshop)

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
Interesting. I am looking forward to the reports. How will you use the vehicle, will this just be for doing the shopping etc., do you have a regular commute that you will use it for ?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's for local trips only. Range is around 150 miles (advertised at 200+ but apparently that's like the MPG claims on petrol cars....)

Also trips into central London as it's zero congestion charge (I think). That's been a pain since they moved it to be 7 days per week as we do go into central London quite often at the weekend. Home to the centre of London and back is about 25-30 miles so all good on range for that.

We have the Discovery for long range and the Aston for high days and holidays.

2 of my 3 cars are now tax free (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
8,315 Posts
I presume they don’t send the (V5?) paperwork off to the DVLA until after the cooling off period so they don’t end up with a 5 owner, 18 month old 3 series….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't think you could do that. ....or you would not be able to tax it.....

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
8,315 Posts
Yes but you have to enter the 12 digit number off the V5C to tax a car you just bought.....which triggers the change of ownership....unless anything has changed in the last few years since I bought a car/motorcycle.

·
Registered
17,988 Posts
Yes but you have to enter the 12 digit number off the V5C to tax a car you just bought.....which triggers the change of ownership....unless anything has changed in the last few years since I bought a car/motorcycle.
Does it though? It means you can drive it, but I don't think you get a V5C until the seller does the necessary. Presumably if they have some sort of 7-day satisfaction thing, they just hang on to it.

Edit: that sounds a bit pissy and it's not meant to.

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I will be interested to see what lead it turns up with. According to Peugeot they supply from anew a Type 2 to Type 2 lead for a charger. No 3 Pin Plug option.

On Youtube, however, most owners seem to say that their cars arrived with a Type 2 to 3 Pin cable.

Will refrain from buying anything until car arrives on Friday and I see what it's got. I have an external covered wall socket on the drive so if it doesn't come with a 3 Pin version I can get one off Amazon Prime next day.

I won't be having any sort of fixed charge point put in until I decide if I like the whole EV thang
It seems to vary from make to make as to what you get. My Tesla came with both cables but my friend has just got an ID.4 and that only came with a Type 2 cable and no granny (3 pin) cable, which was an optional extra.

I’ve got an extension lead with a weatherproof end and built in RCD protection for use with the granny cable. I got it from Toughleads.

I bought my car online, as that’s the only way to get them, but I did have a test drive.

I think there are 2 taxes for central London, one relates to emissions (ULEV) and one for the congestion charge. I believe you still need to pay the congestion charge. Somewhere on the TFL website you can enter the license plate and it tells you which charges are applicable.

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere you can set up accounts to pay for these charges more easily if you use them frequently.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Does it though? It means you can drive it, but I don't think you get a V5C until the seller does the necessary. Presumably if they have some sort of 7-day satisfaction thing, they just hang on to it.

Edit: that sounds a bit pissy and it's not meant to.
Cazoo send you the 12 digit code off the V5C straight away and you go onto DVLA and use the "I've got the green slip" option to tax the car (free in my case).

You can't complete the purchase online without doing that bit. They also provide a 1-click 7 day free insurance as the previous step, so it all flows very easily. Buy the car, transfer the money, click yes to the 7 day insurance, get the V5C code, go to the DVLA website (via a link) and tax it.

I've no idea how the "unwind" process happens if you don't want the car after 7 days. I hope I don't find out.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts