1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

ive had some help from another forum
Alfa Romeo forum: seized engine on 2.0 ts.?..on way back fr

just seeing if any extra info from you chaps !

thanks i Advance

quote from my day today...

"hi, just bought at 3pm a alfa 2002 , 156 ,66,000 miles 2.0 ts tiptronic from enfield , 5 miles from home near high wycombe, sudden tappeting noise from engine which came on when accelerating then quite when not on it. pulled up in layby 2 miles on , as pulled in engine stopped. wont even turn over..?? im assuming seized ?

any legal comeback ?

any rough est on fixing costs? only cost 1500 so assuming its a right off its crappest purchase ever

got it from

2nd hand dealer ,
Burford Car Sales - Used car sales in Hoddesdon, Herfordshire - Home Page

it was advertised as mot'd, tax'd ready to drive home.....

·
Registered
38,873 Posts
Is there any oil or coolant in it?

Seizure is rare, they either knock the bottom ends and throw a rod through the block or snap the cambelt. In the first case you would have a big oil slick, in the second case it would still turn on the starter.

I suppose it could seize if it overheated though.

I would say you do have comeback, as a used car generally has to be fit for purpose unless sold as spares or repairs.

I would contact the dealer and either ask them to fix it or refund your money. If not see the CAB.

Fixing a seized engine will normally mean a new/used engine.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sounds just like the way my engine went, when it cools it will turn over but i thing its had a belt failure or been run low on oil at some stage and the bigends have gone. Looks like at minimum a new bottom end rebuild or a replacment engine...Oh and by the way Smarky really know the selespeeds like the back of his hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers, so you think even if it starts tommorow morning 'reject it' ?? or juswt fill oil n ignore ?

·
Registered
38,873 Posts
I would take it back, if it starts it will only go for a short while, and will probably sound very rough.

If you are in the RAC or AA get them to tow it for you, or better still get the dealer to arrange to collect it.

That engine is stuffed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would take it back, if it starts it will only go for a short while, and will probably sound very rough.

If you are in the RAC or AA get them to tow it for you, or better still get the dealer to arrange to collect it.

That engine is stuffed.
cheers , ill phone them from car in morning and say 'shall i try restart' ? etc...let them lead it and stay chilled

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Have you checked if there is any oil showing on the dipstick? From what you say about the tight oil filler cap on the other forum, I'd be suspicious they didn't check or top it up ...

Did you test drive it? Did you check the oil levels before you left? :(

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I can get all the legal jarggin out if needs be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i they said i would get full refund, got car tranpost to them , they were very good on the phone

ill find out if cash in hand tommorow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts