Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 00 gtv today :)

Decent service history for the last 30k miles (is at 110k miles) lot of work done on clutch, gears, timing belt and the rear bushes.

It's fun to drive :)

Of course it's got it's faults, the airbag light is on t the aerial is stuck, but I'm looking forward to it, the drive home was fun and extended to 60 miles :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Twin spark, a step up from my 156 which died due to steering rack arrest, my next few work bonuses are earmarked for work on the car :) Deal with the aerial, the airbag, replace the timing belt/variator as it's been a few years, and a really good detail on it, once I first test it with our Irish MOT and see if anything else is wrong.

Pics from it's ad.

http://c0.dmlimg.com/1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336dc727369b7033aef3d5cc518f06c0401.jpg
http://c0.dmlimg.com/1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e2633629489aced55cdc1f97a585710aec6074.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Typical GTV......;)
Having had the same issue with the 156, it didn't put me off as I knew the costs, half the reason the car was cheap as chips I suspect is people were afraid of the alfa reputation and any sign of a fault and they fled.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
My airbag light has been on since I bought the GTV 3 years ago, covered by a circle of black paper.....:thumbs:
Will need to sort it properly for next years MoT though........:(

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My airbag light has been on since I bought the GTV 3 years ago, covered by a circle of black paper.....:thumbs:
We have yearly MOTS for cars over ten years old here :(

Not worried about it, nor is the mechanic :)

And the other half who hates alfas, shrieked when brought for a test drive on bendy country roads hee hee

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
They have just added it to the test over here, price for resetting will probably double now.......:Hmm:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was blessed with this car, the owner knew the history but couldn't produce it and it felt fine when it drove.

Talked to my mechanic and he was happy for me to buy it.

Did a deal with the seller, and the poor guy then found approx. £8k of history over the past five years, and still stuck to the deal. I got all the info I needed, and no surprises, but pleasant news such that the rear bushes had been replaced, and a load of other stuff.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Sounds like you have got a bargain then.........:HAPPY:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Isn't there anyone near you that could turn it off for you, I'm sure someone your way will have laptop and diag cable

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Nice colour........My 2001 air bag light has been on for the last 3 months think its one of those..They all do that sir........Had mine plugged in to a lap top and diag cable but couldn't find an error......

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4 months in, I've a different car.

Replaced the battery, the timing belt kit, the variator, door check strap, door locking mechanism, and had a general service.

Soldered the airbag connections and sorted out windscreen washers.

Almost through our NCT but for a worn wishbone.

Still delighted with the car, and about to embark on a body revamp to get rid of scratches and rust

1 - 14 of 14 Posts