Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After an interesting year searching for a GTV with some ups and downs, I closed on the purchase of a 1750 GTV MkII today. She is being delivered tomorrow so will post up some pictures when I have them. Spent yesterday tiling and sealing the garage so I can keep it dehumidified.

The GTV is in really nice shape, not concours but pretty good. 58,000 ish miles, has just been thoroughly inspected and overhauled by DTR who have impressed me a lot. She's just had the headgasket changed (engine is in good condition) and the gearbox rebuilt, transmission was rebuilt by Cloverleaf last year. Suspension and bushes all new so she drives really well. Now a happy GTV owner!

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,485 Posts
Excellent! Have fun fixing and fettling.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent! Have fun fixing and fettling.
Hopefully all the fixing has been done! Pretty much everything has been thoroughly checked and fixed if it needed it. There are some future fettles (like an Alfaholics exhaust, maybe an LSD) but I plan to keep her pretty much standard for a few years at least. There are some bits and pieces in the interior to polish and improve though which will keep me busy (and are about my level!).

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Congrats Nigel, and may you have many years enjoyment out of her :)

·
Vendor
46,339 Posts
Congrats Nigel, looking forward to the photos :thumbs:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well done Nigel, you got there in the end! Looking forward to seeing her next year.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Pics or it did not happen ;)

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Great news, worth the wait.

Good luck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She's just arrived, I have some pics that I will post up a few pics later and also give some more details about the car.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Congrats, you lucky guy.
You'll be glad for the 1750 engine, I'll had a S2 1750 Spider for near 10 years, never a problem with mechanics (knock on wood ;) ) it runs sweet and pulls over the hole rev range.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK, here's some rough pics. There were two things that attracted me to this one. First, she's a Mk II 1750 which has grown to be my favourite GTV, like Erik said I really like the 1750 engine and also the interior of the 1750. Second, the body shell doesn't have any welding. The car was owned by a collector for many years who restored the shell using original panels but never finished the project and kept the shell in dehumidifed storage for 30 years. It had a bare metal respray two years ago and I was able to see from the photos of that work what good condition she is in.

The car has all new suspension and bushes (within the last two years), rebuilt transmission and gearbox and has just had the head gasket changed. This revealed the engine was all original (never been opened) and in good condition, so no rebuild needed. New radiator, 123 ignition, Flamethrower coil and thorough check over and many minor issues identified and fixed by DTR in Coulsdon. I'm keeping the original wheels as the look of them has grown on me and as everyone has told me, the steering is delightful with this setup. So no GTA wheels and fat tyres. Pass me the beard, pipe and anorak!

She is not concours though. The interior needs a bit of refreshing in places (which I should be able to handle) and the engine bay is pretty clean but definitely "used". But hopefully a good honest car that will need no major expenditure for several years.

The car came from Southwood Cars and I have to say Kevin the guy who runs it was a pleasure to deal with. Just the kind of outfit I was looking for. Note in the background the newly tiled and sealed garage with dehumidifer......

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You must be happy with that, looks neat and tidy, and has a nice stance.
Thanks! Very happy indeed. I like the stance, perhaps a teeny bit high at the front but the springs are still quite new. She is on Koni classics and Eibach springs.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts