Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I bought a 147 2.0 TS lusso, because it looked good. It also sounded good and went well.

On Saturday, on the M25 "Motor Control System Failure" loss of power and whining noise. Limped home and took it to the garage on Tuesday (after bank holiday Monday). The error code said both the spark plugs had failed. The reason, something had smashed them. Both were replaced by the garage (who, out of sympathy have not charged) but they reported that cylinder 2 is damaged. It now whines and makes a grinding noise.

I need a new engine!

What is compatible with what? Is the 2.0 TS engine in the 156 the same?

What is a good price and where can I get a reliable recon?

Sorry this is so long...

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
did you over rev the engine ?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Sounds like its dropped a valve, supprising common unfortunatly.

The rev limiter will stop you over revving it although it won't stop you doing damage by changing down too early.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought it privately - the guy seemed genuine and the car had lots of service history (from Alfa). Don't think it was his fault (or at least not deliberate).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't managed to find the rev limiter! So far I have driven it a total of 150 miles (50 of those in "limp" mode).

Perhaps I should mention it has done 110K miles. The garage's advice was that it could be re-built, but the rest of the engine would still be 110K old. So far I have had quotes of between £700 and £1200 for a replacement engine. Seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
The trouble is the replacement engine would also be an unknown quantity.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Autolusso normally have some decent recon engines. They fitted one to the gtv I'm currently driving. :)

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Autolusso normally have some decent recon engines. They fitted one to the gtv I'm currently driving. :)
We can do it for you and it will be fully guaranteed we are however very busy and have a queue of about 4 that need twin spark engines fitting.

Please see our engine page on our web site for more details:

Auto Lusso - Alfa Romeo Engine Rebuilds, Replacement and Repairs - Hertfordshire, Bedfordshre UK

Joe, by the way we did not rebuild the one in the GTV you have, it was a recon from Alfa and we paid about 3k for it, we went that way as it was a warranty claim and the warranty company wanted us to fit one supplied by Alfa.

Ned

1 - 12 of 12 Posts