Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general consensus on the life span of these bottom crank pulleys (rubber insert type)?
I’ve seen a few stories of late of these failing but it has been on cars with around 130k+
Anyone had one fail early in life?

·
Registered
270 Posts
All I can tell you is that mine was changed prior to picking up the car. That was at 45,000 miles at the time. It was just say starting to deteriorate according to Matt at True Alfa and knowing these cars inside out, he obviously knew that they go eventually. Just makes you wonder how many go unnoticed for tens of thousands of miles then go south big style.

·
Registered
592 Posts
as its the rubber part that fails i would guess this is an age/mileage thing, obviously higher mileage will go quicker but it is a ticking time bomb if your lucky the belt just drops off if its not your day it can get caught in the timing belt and wreck the top end.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
if it's not been done, it'll be on its way. rubber perishes with age and conditions, so it's anyones guess. now you've thought about it, it'll bound to break. for what it is, they're reassuringly expensive in a true alfa fashion.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if it's not been done, it'll be on its way. rubber perishes with age and conditions, so it's anyones guess. now you've thought about it, it'll bound to break. for what it is, they're reassuringly expensive in a true alfa fashion.
Just found one on AutoDoc for £47 with their 20% discount for the next few hours, not heard of the make but they offer a 2yr warranty?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
think they're normally 100 quid more than that.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
think they're normally 100 quid more than that.
Just ordered one off AutoDoc for a total of £55.00 inc delivery - New kid on the block, IJS Group in Spain - OEM manufacturers of pulleys of all types?
If they are offering a 2yr warranty, it can’t be that bad?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a good question though - is there a cheaper alternative from a different car manufacturer?
As soon as the name Alfa Romeo is attached to any part, the price for some reason doubles!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Except for numerous reports on aux belts going down early due to pulley failure, I only have read once about a broken crankshaft issue. That was on a 2.0 Isignia with some half a million kilometres on it, would need to search for it again.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Half a million...impressive. Maybe I might get a few more years out of my 159 yet (same engine). As far as I know my crank pulley is original...9 years and 141,000. Maybe I will take a closer look!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Gates mentions micro cracks. Don't know how old mine is but I have started to see some on it. Think it's a good move to replace it as a precautionary measure.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The 1.9 pulley is the same as the vauxhall though there are 2 types, thick or thin flange but they use 4 bolts, the 2.4 uses 5.
I changed mine when I did the belt, idlers etc, they were about £50 from Mister auto at the time, it had done 60k and was showing signs of starting to crack around the rubber.

·
Registered
521 Posts
https://www.opel.nl/apps/News/Opelminded/kilometervreter-gerry-dinnessen.aspx

At the bottom there’s a link to Youtube. Not sure if subtitles will work from Dutch spoken, but at some point in this clip it’s mentioned that the replacement engine was put in at some 300,000 KM, which tells us that this almost new engine (less than a thousand kilometres covered when Opel/Vauxhall offered warranty replacement for it) actually has ran more than 400k and apparently still going strong. Further comments made by the inspector is that to his surprise he couldn’t detect anything on the engine at 722,000 KM, not even more than some very light oil sweat. The owner bought it second hand at 38k and is now to sell as he retires from his courier services business for which he used this JTD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts