Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new lower front wishbones for my 164 along with new ball joints (seperately) and need to know are the ball joints bolted down on top of the wishbones from above or do they bolt up from underneath?

I ask because I think I saw a picture somewhere on the net of a lower arm with what appeared to have the ball joint bolted down from above but when I removed mine the ball joints are bolted up from underneath:confused:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I always put mine up from underneath. I don't know why but I just feel better that way. If one of the bolts were to snap, I think it might give me a bit more warning that something was wrong but there isn't much of a tensile load in the bolts anyway, so I don't think there's much in it. You need to be careful about pinching the rubber gaiter betwen the balljoint housing and the wishbone though.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Avocet,I think I'll bolt them up from underneath as you've done,thats how my old ones were so it makes good sense:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried bolting the new ball joints up under the wishbone but there was a ridge which prevented them seating properly so I bolted them down from above,I've since found a picture in a workshop manual (Lancia Thema) showing them bolted down from above so I reckoned that was the best way to go.:)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Interesting! Were they genuine wishbones / balljoints? Was the ridge on the wishbone or the joint? My wishbones (12 valve) are prefectly flat on the top and bottom mounting face although the balljoint gaiter is a tight fit through the gap and it easy to pinch. Anyway, as previously said, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference either way, so if it works for you, fair play!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wishbones were Ocap but the ball joints I bought from e bay,it was the ball joints that had a ridge which stopped the ball joint seating up against the wishbone properly.

I have a Lancia Thema workshop manual and I had forgotten the front wishbones and ball joints are identical to the 164,and in there was a picture showing the ball joints bolted down from above.

Like you say Avocet,I don't think it makes a great deal of difference,but when I took my 164 off the road it was wearing the front tyres drastically on the inside edges so I renewed all the front suspension and wanted to sort the problem out good and proper.:)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Not sure if its relevant, but mine ate the inside edges of its tyres once and a worn track rod end was the culprit!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the Lower ball joints on mine that were badly worn,strange thing is I couldn't detect any movement in the ball joints when there was weight on or off them:confused: but when I removed them from the car the wear was obvious.

I renewed the track rod ends,wishbones,ball joints, springs and shocks.It drives like a dream now.:thumbs:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was the Lower ball joints on mine that were badly worn,strange thing is I couldn't detect any movement in the ball joints when there was weight on or off them:confused: but when I removed them from the car the wear was obvious.

I renewed the track rod ends,wishbones,ball joints, springs and shocks.It drives like a dream now.:thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts