Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last summer, i decided that my Bella was due a radiator change and decided at the same time to renew the themostat and change the coolant from the Blue to the Pink long life stuff. Ordered the radiator from the Boston crowd on ebay who had been offering replacement radiators at a very attractive price. Called them and told them that i did not need the hole for the sensor and would they stick a bung in the sensor hole. Radiator arrived and i spent a saturday flushing and installing and all was good.

Over the space of a few months, i noticed that i was still loosing coolant, so checked all hose clips and retightened and still the leak continued.:( Over Christmas, i loaned the car to my daughter while she visited school friends and got a call at 2am saying she was stuck at side off road as the car had reached 130o and the header was empty. The following day i had my mechanic check it over and he came back with bad news ....Head gasket!:cry:

I have just finished the install of a new gasket and replacement head and while doing everything was attempting to identify what had caused the problem? Last night just as i was checking radiator prior to install, i noticed the bung hole was covered in coolant sediment and upon further investigation it simply fell out into my hand.:eek: They had literally just "Bunged" the bung into the sensor hole and this had been the cause of my nightmare, should have given it a more thorough check prior to install.:( Now all i need is some of that plumber sealant stuff for plastic threads ..... anyone remember what you call it?

So be warned, if you buy a replacement radiator with the bung in place, be sure that it is properly in place and not just bunged in!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've had this very same problem! just a couple months ago I had a new thermostat and radiator, then a few days later found myself waiting for the pickup truck as the car had overheated. Thankfully no lasting damage but all the coolant had leaked straight out. It was later traced to the same dodgy bung. The radiator had a metal thread but the thread on the bung was all plastic, which meant the seal was poor. We managed to source an alternative radiator that had both metal thread and metal threaded bung - resulting in a good seal and no more leaks!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
PTFE tape should do the job I suppose.

Melting point is 327°C and if the water is that hot, the tape is the least of your worries :lol:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I would suspect the metal thread on the radiator has poor tolerances, as I think that plastic bung is the correct part to use... it should feel nice and snug as it threads in, and also it must have a rubber o-ring on the bung!

(or a metal washer if you use a metal bung)

I removed and blanked off my oil cooler pipes on my TS with one of these bungs, has worked so far :lol:

PTFE tape is a good shout!

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys, i shall use the PTFE tape.

PS: My mechanic mentioned something called "Stag", have any of you heard off it?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Mine (from boston) had a screw in plastic bung with a rubber o ring, and the body was plastic too.

I araldited it in before I fitted the rad!

ETA I`ve had Stag Dynamite Chilli, but I wouldnt use it to seal a plastic bung!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I had the same problem, fitted it with a 22mm from a plumbers shop and with pft tape, no more leaks and no slight loss of coolant from the coolant tank.:)

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Had a similar problem.

Got my new Rad from BR and collected it from them. It came without the " Bung " so asked and got one for free. When I fitted it I found that when tightening this up the " O " Seal kept squeezing out so backed off before the Seal squeezed out. It didn't work, still weeping, and after many attempts and bodges I gave up and took the Rad, still fitted, to BR.

Talked to the main man and he assured me that all the " bungs " were the same. NOT SO. Some " bungs " have a groove that the O Ring fits into and some don't. Guess which one he had given me..........

They supplied and fitted the correct one for me and all was then well.

So check that the Bung has the groove for the Seal, if not find one that has and forget about the bodges. Also don't over tighten the Bung, this will also cause problems.

Despite this they were reasonable to deal with and it was a good price. Oddly I had to pay the price listed on eBay including the P & P charges although I collected it. Naturally I queried this and he said that as the margins were so low he had to charge this to make any money, very odd. :confused:

So a mixed experience for me but I would use them again, prices are good and they do seem to resolve any problems, despite having caused some of them themselves.......

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Nige, i found them a very decent crowd when i spoke (You did enter my thoughts when posting, being from the same neck of the woods.:)) and the price was the reason why i ordered i just wanted to make members aware of the weakness in their radiators and to take precautions prior to install which is what i should have done rather than installing without checking.:(

Hope the courier found you and the bits arrived safe & sound?

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Hi Nige, i found them a very decent crowd when i spoke (You did enter my thoughts when posting, being from the same neck of the woods.:)) and the price was the reason why i ordered i just wanted to make members aware of the weakness in their radiators and to take precautions prior to install which is what i should have done rather than installing without checking.:(

Hope the courier found you and the bits arrived safe & sound?
Morning D. Expecting them today, they seem to have had a short vacation in the Central Hub, wherever that may be !

That Rad fitting took me hours and hours over several days, what should have been a quick simple job....... Tried different O Rings, PTFE Tape, Gasket Seal, Sealant, Plumbers Mate and just about everything I had in the garage, nothing worked. However it did prompt me to buy a set of gihuge Allan Keys, real mens tools ! :D In the end it was all down to the wrong Bung and they did it for me on the spot, no charge.

Bluidy shame that it caused you so much damage though, a twenty pence item has given you a lot of pain and I hope that you get the HG sorted out with no problems, I'm following the Thread with interest.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts