Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this hasnt been posted before i have looked very hard for it and never found exactly what i wanted. also if it seen as coprighted please remove.

I (hopefully) have attached a document i created after i wanted to replace the BOSE amp in my GT 07. Read alot of Shiny Cars post very helpful. But i needed to find the speaker cables in the 32 pin plug from the amp itself (i dont really want to run new cables). I had a copy of ELearn i bought from ebay ages ago when i first bought the car. so used that to follow the cables through there relative connectors etc back to the amp connector and drew it out.
hope you find it useful. i know what to expect once i start the project.

View attachment BoseSystemDiagram.pdf

while browsing Elearn i found some spec info on the stereo system (inc pinout of AMP) so i printed in PDF format it is to big so PM for a copy. I have taken a screenshot of the amp wiring page.
BossAMPwiring.jpg

i have edited the jpeg copy to include my finding of the speaker connections, but the diagram also includes alot of other connection for speakers not quite sure why. Possibly amp used in more that one model and pins are different

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i can tell you the pin numbers for the rear speakers because i also tapped into them with my system upgrade. the numbers initially seem random, but they make more sense when you find them because the line up properly.

so this is for the wires going OUT to the speakers.

RL+ (rear left positive) 16
RL- 4

RR+ 5
RR- 17

here's a photo of how i tapped into them, using small spade terminals: http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/20006312/353536541.jpg

as such, i would expect the front wires to be positioned adjacent, so they should be:

FL+ 19
FL- 7

FR+ 20
FR- 8

i suggest using a multimeter in 'continuity' mode to confirm the front wiring. access the speakerwires in the front doors (ie: disconnect the door woofers to access the plug) and match them up with the pins in the amplifier plug.

the confusion arises because there is a second set of wires labelled similarly in the plug. what these correlate to are the wires coming IN to the amplifier, from the headunit.

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah that makes complete sense now shiny didnt click the other set were inputs. Must be all the wiring diagrams messing with my head. the diagram wasnt specific (elearn) where the cable went so the other set are the inputs from the head unit.

the cable you used were right for the Rear speakers (on Elearn)

so the front Speaker pins are:
FR- 32
FR+ 31
FL- 26
FL+ 27

acording to elearn

the ones you suggested do you know they are the front speakers or was it an educated guess, coz elearn suggests Different pins

if you look at my diagram there are 2 Intermediate Connectors
D68A carries Audio output from Headunit to AMP
D68B carries Speaker outputs from AMP to Speakers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also may have been answered before why does the SUB have 4 connections.
11 + woofer 1
12 - woofer 1
15 - woofer 2
3 + woofer 2

Not that i will use it in the new system but im just curious

·
7,713 Posts
the ones you suggested do you know they are the front speakers or was it an educated guess, coz elearn suggests Different pins
just a guess, cos they are located adjacent to the rear speaker output wires.

to confirm the rears, i used my multimeter as suggested, so you can confirm the front wires match up too (ie: ensure they are the output wires and not input).

the subwoofer is 'dual voicecoil', and the amplifier uses 2 channels to run it; one channel per voicecoil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks shiny will try to test those connection as soon as.

hmm now have to decide is i should just test the connection from behind the headunit or get the door cards off to test if i get the door card off i might aswell change the speakers ;).

·
7,713 Posts
oh yeah, i kinda overlooked mentioning you'll have to take the door cards off. ;)

except, you can locate the wires in the big multipin plugs in the door jams (i had to sort this out when i was doing the ICE in my GT too). if you uncouple the plugs, it'll look like this:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/313622711.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/313622708.jpg

now, i don't have a photo with the exact pins marked, so i only have the following. you can carefully correlate the location of the wires to the pin positions in the plugs.

passenger (left/nearside) door plug; ignore the 'x' and 'o':
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/313622718.jpg

peeling back the rubber boot to check behind the plug, these are the locations of the speakerwires for the passenger door:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/313622705.jpg

i think that's clear enough to see, to correlate the pins around the front, for your to stick your multimeter probe into (or just stick it in around the back).

driver's door is similar, and this is a photo of the speakerwires (same positions):
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/319615295.jpg

i keep a photo log of all my work, so they can come in handy. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi sorry for Jumping in on an old thread here, but the Bose amp has died on my 08 GT according to the auto electrician - basicly i'm getting really loud whitenoise feedback through the rear speaker regardless of whether the radio is turned on or off!

Alfa want stupid money for the amp as you have to buy the mini sub etc as a package! Is there an aftermarket sub I can use as a replacement for the BOSE?

many thanks in advance for any help

Regards Fraz

·
7,713 Posts
Firstly, seems you need a replacement amp.

Secondly, you're after a new sub too?

What are your plans for the amp? You could buy a secondhand BOSE amp (check ebay or wreckers like Autolusso).

For the sub, you could buy a new sub + subbox to run off the BOSE amp (not ideal to run off this amp cos it doesn't have great power), or add an 'active sub' (which means a sub + box + inbuilt little amp), or add a separate (additional) amp for the sub + new sub + subbox. Any such sub/box combo will likely be physically bigger than the BOSE, so it will obviously take up more boot space.

You could also replace the BOSE amp for a completely new, aftermarket amp. Unless you're familiar and skilled with car audio, you'll want a professional ICE installer to do this job because the Alfa does not have conventional connections, so they will need converting to normal plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks very much for the reply. I plumped for a secondhand amp off ebay just hope it works ok now. My car which is 08 has a different amp to the earlier models? i assume connections etc might be different?

·
7,713 Posts
I don't believe there's any changes to the BOSE system over time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
e learn doc

Hi is there any chance of being DM'd the document from Elearn
you sid : i found some spec info on the stereo system (inc pinout of AMP) so i printed in PDF format it is to big so PM for a copy.
its for a design project and the wrinring has got me a bit confused.

Thanks, sorry for reviving an old post!
Evan

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this hasnt been posted before i have looked very hard for it and never found exactly what i wanted. also if it seen as coprighted please remove.

I (hopefully) have attached a document i created after i wanted to replace the BOSE amp in my GT 07. Read alot of Shiny Cars post very helpful. But i needed to find the speaker cables in the 32 pin plug from the amp itself (i dont really want to run new cables). I had a copy of ELearn i bought from ebay ages ago when i first bought the car. so used that to follow the cables through there relative connectors etc back to the amp connector and drew it out.
hope you find it useful. i know what to expect once i start the project.

View attachment 85377

while browsing Elearn i found some spec info on the stereo system (inc pinout of AMP) so i printed in PDF format it is to big so PM for a copy. I have taken a screenshot of the amp wiring page.
View attachment 85376

i have edited the jpeg copy to include my finding of the speaker connections, but the diagram also includes alot of other connection for speakers not quite sure why. Possibly amp used in more that one model and pins are different

·
Registered
2 Posts
e learn doc

does any one have access to the elearn doc mentioned above/

>>>> Elearn i found some spec info on the stereo system (inc pinout of AMP) so i printed in PDF format it is to big so PM for a copy.

id be resally keen on a copy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts