Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Bose System wiring

13222 31
A couple of simple questions with maybe not so simple amswers:

1. I always thought that a Bose upgrade was a simple matter, Plug & play ..... is this true or not?

2. as well as the

* 6 door speakers [ 4 large, 2 tweeters ]
* 1 sub woofer
* 1 amp [ with approx 20 wires going ito it ]
* 1 rear parcel shelf

if you have a non-Bose car & you want to upgrade do you need the wiring loom from a donor Bose car

3. if you do need the wiring loom...... what section do you actually require.

the reason i ask is i have a 'donor' with bose & have aperson interested in putting it into a non-Bose car.

donor is a 2.4jTD, buyers car is a 1.9JTD

4.what value is an Entire working Bose system worth?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no-one knows these answers ....don't belive that for a second.

looks like I'm gonna have to be a 'little red hen' & find out for myself :eek:

where's me snips :)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,718 Posts
1. I always thought that a Bose upgrade was a simple matter, Plug & play ..... is this true or not?
not true. you need the wiring loom.

2. as well as the

* 6 door speakers [ 4 large, 2 tweeters ]
* 1 sub woofer
* 1 amp [ with approx 20 wires going ito it ]
* 1 rear parcel shelf

if you have a non-Bose car & you want to upgrade do you need the wiring loom from a donor Bose car
not exactly sure if the 156 Bose system is any different to the one in the 147/GT, except the shape of the sub enclosure.

in the latter, there are 2-way coaxials mounted in the doors and rear (ie: woofer + tweeter). so i'm unsure what is meant by '6 speakers'; perhaps the rears are simply dual cone rears or something (crap).

btw, it erks me that car manufacturers go against convention, and list every individual driver as a 'speaker'. that is, car manufacturers list a 2-way coaxial as '2 speakers'; whereas in car and home audio, this is one speaker!

as above, you need the wiring loom. it is not present in non-Bose cars.

3. if you do need the wiring loom...... what section do you actually require.
unsure actually. but it starts with different wiring into the headunit, powerwiring to feed the amp, audio signal wires from the headunit to the amp, and speakerwires from the amp to all speakers/sub.

you could custom-install all the wiring yourself, but not exactly straight forward.

4.what value is an Entire working Bose system worth?
not sure about this either, except what it's 'worth' and what someone is willing 'to pay', can be quite disparate.

:)

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the very informative reply :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last night i removed the amp & woofer. :)

started to remove wiring loom .... what a job, the entire rear wiring loom has to be removed including rear lighter, number plate wiring, etc.....

gave up on it after 30, might go at it again later today.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,718 Posts
is the car a 'parts car', being stripped? just curious.

i suppose if you have to go to all this effort to remove it, then it's the same effort required for someone to install it. ;)

:)

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes its a car breaking for parts.

i'm going to remove the entire rear wiring loom & strip out the required wires.

then the buyer could add them to their car as a seperate witing loom. :)

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
there are no "tweaters" in the BOSE system, the "bose" emblems are just space savers (if you take them off you'll find nothing behind them ... the front and rear speakers are identical and are just a single speaker ...

... oh and don't bother it's not really that great ... you'll get more money selling the parts on the bay ...

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's **** that is all Pat. Not worth the effort. Go and buy some speakers and amp and a headunit you've heard my stereo.
its not for my own use, its a system for re-sale

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there are no "tweaters" in the BOSE system, the "bose" emblems are just space savers (if you take them off you'll find nothing behind them ... the front and rear speakers are identical and are just a single speaker ...

... oh and don't bother it's not really that great ... you'll get more money selling the parts on the bay ...

the door speakers had a seperate tweeter on top of the bass speaker.... & yes the upper teeter with Bose wrote on it had a little speaker in it with a wire connected into it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok i got this off an italian site
P20 is the radio
P70 it's the amp Bose
P49 t's the sub and the double coil
P 45, 30, 48 e 46 those are the doors speekers
P 31, 35, 36 e 47 those are the connectors (used by the non bose standard system) for the tweeters

Attachments

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
the door speakers had a seperate tweeter on top of the bass speaker.... & yes the upper teeter with Bose wrote on it had a little speaker in it with a wire connected into it.
Well that's different to mine and some of the other guys on here ... the bose amp does not have the outputs to drive 6 speakers (plus the sub) ... one of the other guys on here (from austrialia ... can't remeber his name) had BOSE plastered all over his 156 GTA but upon investigation found that it was missing ... :confused:

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Did you take the entire door card off to look at that or take speaker grill off the tweeter? reason I ask is because the wire does plug into a pseudo speaker (probably so the wire doesn't flap around ...)

·
Registered
788 Posts
I can't comment on the other models but the 2007/8 159 Bose system is a 6 channel amp (570watt from memory) which drives front left , front right , front center , rear left , rear right and sub. Each door has a 6.5" mid-range and a 2" tweeter (usual 'piggy back' across its corresponding mid-range speaker setup :(), the front center is essentially just a 2" tweeter (but it seems to combine left and right signals so the driver and passenger both get proper stereo somehow).

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.