Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, having some hair pulling moments with the front speakers on my 147. There is no sound from the tweeters or the drivers on either side. The rears all work fine including the sub. I have tried a replacement amp but without joy, and checked the connections at the door multi-plugs.... any ideas?!?!?!?!:cheese:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Do you mean from the tweeter bits where it says Bose? There are no speakers there as the Bose system uses coaxial speakers in the doors. If you know this and they're not working, I'd say you need new speakers.

D

·
0 Posts
Have you made sure the connections in the back of the head unit are ok ?
I;d then try another known good head unit even and aftermarket one to make sure the front outputs of the head unit are not goosed.

You would need to connect the remote wire from an a/m headunit to the single connection in the yellow miniplug temporarily to turn on the bose amp

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
There are no speakers there as the Bose system uses coaxial speakers in the doors.
Indeed. This is a typical BOSE 2-way coaxial speaker (from my GT): http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/312714694.jpg

Hence, the tweeter is in the middle of the speaker.

Certainly, it won't be a fault of the amplifier. Either the tweeters are blown, or you're listening/looking in the wrong spot. Try 'fading' all the way to the front (ie: so you can't hear the rears); can you hear treble (even without putting your ears close to the speakers)? Also use the 'balance' to compare L with R speakers.

:)

D

·
0 Posts
Indeed. This is a typical BOSE 2-way coaxial speaker (from my GT): http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/312714694.jpg

Certainly, it won't be a fault of the amplifier. Either the tweeters are blown, or you're listening/looking in the wrong spot. Try 'fading' all the way to the front (ie: so you can't hear the rears); can you hear treble (even without putting your ears close to the speakers)? Also use the 'balance' to compare L with R speakers.

SC I dont think he is getting any sound - its not just the tweeters looking at the OP
"There is no sound from the tweeters or the drivers on either side"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did try another head unit but without connecting the remote out to the amp, thought you needed the correct aftermarket loom and couldn't source one. I'll try this next, thanks. If not its multimeter time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

have tried fading and balancing, no sound at all from the fronts. Didn't realise they where coaxial though! (have been putting off door card removal for now) Is it the same all round?

D

·
0 Posts
No you should be able to do it - steering wheel controls wont work but without the yellow mini iso c6 connection it wont trigger the amp on

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
SC I dont think he is getting any sound - its not just the tweeters looking at the OP
"There is no sound from the tweeters or the drivers on either side"
Ah, yes, I just picked up on this when I re-read through the topic. :eek: :thumbs:

Sorry for any confusion with what I wrote.

OK, yes, the amp could have been at fault, but unlikely given you tried another.

As discussed, that leaves the headunit, or one of the connections between the headunit and BOSE amp. It would be unlucky to have bad connections between the amp and speakers on both sides, but possible; ditto two blown speakers.

Didn't realise they where coaxial though! (have been putting off door card removal for now) Is it the same all round?
Could be coax front and rear. So you could try one of the rear speakers in place of the front ones, for testing purposes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts