Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue where I'm getting a whine from the rear left speaker. I've tried unplugging the sub at the back and this seams to stop it. I'm looking to unplug only that speaker as a temporary measure until I get it sorted properly.

There's 4 wires in the plus that go in to the sub, can anyone tell me which links to the rear left speaker so I can disconnect?

If anyone has any advice on a long term fix as well that would be appreciated!

Please use small words as I'm a complete novice with the electrics

Thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
maybe just remove the cables from the rear speaker? First remove the little ashtray, remove the philips screw at the back and gently pull the trim away to reveal the speaker. Could be accumulated dust that is vibrating on the mebrane.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe just remove the cables from the rear speaker? First remove the little ashtray, remove the philips screw at the back and gently pull the trim away to reveal the speaker. Could be accumulated dust that is vibrating on the mebrane.
This reveals the small speaker at the top but sorry I meant the larger one below. Is there an easy way of exposing this?

Weird the little speaker has a plug going in to it with wires, but it doesn't seem to have an actual speaker in it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The BOSE system in my 147 is pretty dire. It seems to ignore all the accepted rules of thumb with regards to sound quality. I would say it's the worst stock audio experience I've encountered in a car to be honest, but mine might have been tampered with. Not sure.

Regardless it will be ripped out and replaced with quality component speakers and a new double DIN head unit if I keep hold of the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How should I go about getting access to the larger bottom speaker?

Would it be ok so just unplug it and leave it at that or would this then cause a risk of fire or whatever?

·
Registered
780 Posts
How should I go about getting access to the larger bottom speaker?

Would it be ok so just unplug it and leave it at that or would this then cause a risk of fire or whatever?
I would recommend to use electrical tape to tape up any loose connections just to be safe

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
If the rear interior assembly is the same as a 147 then to reomove that speaker you'll need to dismantle quite a bit. The seat belt retaining rail down on the floor needs to come out so that you can remove the sill trim, then you can get access to remove the B pillar trim and then follow by removing the rear seat base and then the rear quarter panel trim....then you can get to the speaker. It's very straight forward but fiddly as there are several hidden clips which are plastic, brittle and easy to snap.
You may be able to get away with removing less trim, but I removed the lot when I needed to get access to the the rear quarter as I didn't want to force or damage anything. Once you're in there you'll be able to confirm that it's the speaker causing the issue and replace it.

On the other hand, if you didn't want to take the trim apart, or if you are only intending on disconnecting the speaker rather than replace it, you could simply shift the 'fade' to the front speakers and eliminate the rears totally.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the in depth reply. Unfortunately even on the mute you can hear the whine through the speaker for some reason, it gets no louder or quieter on varying volumes either.

Looks like it's the fiddly solution

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Thank you for the in depth reply. Unfortunately even on the mute you can hear the whine through the speaker for some reason, it gets no louder or quieter on varying volumes either.

Looks like it's the fiddly solution
Even by taking your time and being careful you can have it all out within an hour, no special tools required although a trim removal tool such as this is useful for keeping securing tabs intact.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...DQ7ZEU&usg=AFQjCNEYFfldqiMn4p7xhtWYF3-VdbjspA

·
Registered
446 Posts
LOL, that is the reverse gear speaker/sending unit, the Bose doesn't have a separate tweeter on top, it is only the mesh with nothing in it. Bose are coupled together

1 - 11 of 11 Posts