Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

got in my car the other night and noticed the rear fog lightlamp was on stating the rear fogs were on and the control panel warnig lights indicated that the number plate and rear fogs had a bulb blown- but they were not!
turns out the cables running to the lights that are in the bootlid themselves had been gradually worn and a few were cleanly cut in half. Seems the rubber gaitor [did i name that right?] gets squashed between the lid and the main body of the car causing the problem. I also can't use the interior boot release because of this.

Simple problem for the average man to fix I hear you all say, but if anyone can mess this up its me!!

so a kind technical-minded friend is gonna help me this weekend. So why am I going on about it? what's the best way to repair this so it doesn't happen again?

interestingly the rubber gaitor containing the wires is intact!

regards
Raj :confused:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had the same myself a while back, confused me for a while!!!

Only thing I can suggest is perhaps wrapping them in "gaffa" tape but it will make the job a pain next time.

I think this is possibly the result of wear and tear not damage.....as such. All that movement from lifting and closing the boot will cause breakage after the wires have hardened.

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, mine went to an auto-elctrician as I couldn't find the fault. He used heatshrink insulation after soldering the wires back together.

Hope your mate does something similiar.

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Wrinx - i'll keep your tips in mind!
regards
raj wink

1 - 4 of 4 Posts