Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks - I've seen mentioned in other threads people using a sunroof switch in place of a blank (No sunroof in my car) & wiring it to the boot release mechanism instead of using the original release switch in the passenger glove box. This seems a great idea - has anyone done this & if they have - could they please let me know how it was done (apart from the obvious - get a switch :rolleyes:

Many thanks Jon

·
Registered
285 Posts
Someone must have the answer, i also want to do this but dont like the idea of stripping the dash etc to sort it!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
someone on here has done it and posted picturesbin the past, do a search

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Nige

I had already found the link which gave me the original idea, I have emailed Trickii via the web site to ask how he got to the switch. I looked in the glove box & although you can remove the light cover to change the bulb I could not see any screws to remove the main body of the switch - I'm guessing its a case of taking the centre consul out - but feel reluctant doing this if its not required.

Cheers anyway

Jon

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts
Hi Nige

I had already found the link which gave me the original idea, I have emailed Trickii via the web site to ask how he got to the switch. I looked in the glove box & although you can remove the light cover to change the bulb I could not see any screws to remove the main body of the switch - I'm guessing its a case of taking the centre consul out - but feel reluctant doing this if its not required.

Cheers anyway

Jon
:confused: Hi Jon, I don' think that there is much to it, the problem is that it's so dark and gloomy in there it's hard to see what you are doing ! As I haven't done it I can't be sure exactly of how to get at it but I reckon it's unlikely that the console has to be removed. Hopefully trickii will get back to you, would be nice to hear the results.

There is another Thread somewhere on here which address's the problem of not being able to open the boot whilst the engine is running, it involves a slight mod to the relay wiring but haven't found it yet, I know it's here somewhere............:rolleyes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi folks
Not sure about the following assumption but here goes - I have removed the carpet section below the glove box containing the airbag key switch. There are two connectors behind the carpet - One I know is the throttle body / throttle potentiometer cable. I suspect the other connector may have something to do with the glovebox light / remote release button for the boot lid. If it is it is a simple route back to the position for the sunroof switch. Has anyone done this - also has anyone got the wiring diagram for a 1998 phase 2 3.0 GTV showing the boot release circuit (I hope someone can help & that I have made sense !!)
Many thanks

Jon :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
i am looking forward to these instructions appearing, i have only started to be annoyed by the blanking plug since I have joined this forum!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got round to fitting the switch :), running the new wire in was easy just remove the passenger footwell carpet section containing the airbag switch (2 screws) take out the panel containing the mirror switch / sunroof switch. Run a pair of wires from here through the centre console to the passenger footwell (I removed the ashtray which helped !!). The wires you need to intercept unfortunately come down from the main dashboard area so you have no real option but to remove the glovebox (not difficult - 3 allen bolts at the bottom of the glovebox / footwell area & five smaller allen bolts inside the glovebox). You can now remove the red connector at the side of the glovebox.
You now need to tee in your two new wires - one to the black wire & the other to the yellow wire (not the yellow black wire which is the feed to the glove box light). Once this is done you need to select a a pair of contacts on the sunroof switch that on the operation of the switch make a circuit (use a multimeter) & the jobs done (apart from refitting the glovebox / ashtray / carpet section etc). The switch then works in tandem with the original (when the ignition is off !!).

I really like this simple mod which looks better than a blanking plate (or missing one in my case) & makes opening the boot a simple option :)

Will post pics if anyone needs them - Jon :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Brilliant post Jon - thank you. Just done the mod. Mine had a yellow and red wire as well as the black one rather than a plain yellow wire as you describe going to the golvebox switch, but your advice to ignore the yellow and black saw me right. Worth saying that your wiring to the sunroof switch in the photo opens the boot when you press to close the "sunroof" - I guess that using the other terminal on the sitch would see the boot open when you pressed it down.
Switch was expensive - £50 delivered from Mangoletsi - but I couldn't find it anywhere else. Worth it to me, though, and at least I was sure it would be the right one.
Thanks again.
Finally got round to fitting the switch :), running the new wire in was easy just remove the passenger footwell carpet section containing the airbag switch (2 screws) take out the panel containing the mirror switch / sunroof switch. Run a pair of wires from here through the centre console to the passenger footwell (I removed the ashtray which helped !!). The wires you need to intercept unfortunately come down from the main dashboard area so you have no real option but to remove the glovebox (not difficult - 3 allen bolts at the bottom of the glovebox / footwell area & five smaller allen bolts inside the glovebox). You can now remove the red connector at the side of the glovebox.
You now need to tee in your two new wires - one to the black wire & the other to the yellow wire (not the yellow black wire which is the feed to the glove box light). Once this is done you need to select a a pair of contacts on the sunroof switch that on the operation of the switch make a circuit (use a multimeter) & the jobs done (apart from refitting the glovebox / ashtray / carpet section etc). The switch then works in tandem with the original (when the ignition is off !!).

I really like this simple mod which looks better than a blanking plate (or missing one in my case) & makes opening the boot a simple option :)

Will post pics if anyone needs them - Jon :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts