Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I got myself a Maplin aerial to replace my knackered original. Fitted and working - hooray, another one crossed off the to-do list - or so I thought.

The aerial's fine.

But since then neither the remote boot release nor the remote filler flap release are working.

I wondered if I'd managed to nause something up by tugging on some wiring I shouldn't have when I fitted the aerial. Had a good look around the boot and found the following:

Near the n/s rear light cluster there's a cable that pops out of the wiring loom with a thin black and a thin pink/purple (possibly) cables terminating in a brown connector that isn't attached to anything - and there's nothing in sight that it could attach to. I think this was like this before - vaguely remember seeing it a while back, so possibly a red herring.

At the n/s boot hinge, there's four wires running into the boot lid. A thin black and pink/purple (as above), and a thick black and a thick green. What's more, the black was completely severed and the green had lost insulation - from the colour of the copper wires on both it looked like they'd been exposed for some time (though the cut may have been recent). I stripped them both back a bit and reconnected them using a small connector block - but still no joy.

I looked at the wiring diagrams in the manual - the only common factors for the solenoids for both boot release and filler flap are the general services supply fuse and the key operated relay (that turns various things on/off according to the ignition key position). If either of these had gone I'd have lost a whole bunch of other services - and everything else is working just fine.

The only thing I can think is that I pulled something in the wiring loom too hard and disconnected both the boot release and filler release.

Can anyone point me to where the solenoids actually are so I can check the connectors there? The manual is pretty vague on this ...

·
Registered
871 Posts
i can tell you that the connector for the filler cap is near the back of the rear seat drivers side, the front side of the battery,

the boot release actuator is in the boot lid, to get to it you would have to remove the boot lid carpet.

the wires that you described that were cut are to do with the boot lid release.
may have blown a fuse,

check main fuse box, and there are some fuses behind the passenger side rear seat accesed from the boot.

i would source the boot lid fault first may be connected

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've opened the compartment in the left of the boot (had to use a knife to cut the carpet!). It's a different layout to what's described in the owner's manual - only a single fuse rather than two (unless I've missed one) and it's intact.

Think I'll try taking the whole relay/fuse assembly out of the boot so I can see it properly.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not yet taken the relay/fuse assembly out, but did check yesterday that the boot release relay *is* clicking when the button's pressed.

According to the wiring diagram the only possible fuse that could affect it is the general services supply fuse, which would prevent the relay from working anyway (and a bunch of other things too), so I don't think it's a fuse. So it's either a wiring fault or the solenoid's kaput.

My favourite is a wiring fault - don't see how else it could affect both boot and filler opening.

More to check ...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved.

There's three fuses in the hidden boot compartment - one obvious one, and two "caged" fuses. If you pop the cage off, you can get at the fuse. The right hand (as looked at from the rear) had blown - a 30A fuse. Replaced this and both boot release and filler flap are now working again.

The owners manual mentioned two fuses, but didn't say that either were specifically to do with the boot release or filler flap. The service manual and wiring diagrams don't make any mention of these fuses at all (though I may have missed them amongst all the different variants and versions!).

·
Registered
27 Posts
What are you calling the hidden boot compartment? I need to find this fuse as my release has stopped working. Also found that the three wires have cut in the hinge as you found but one remains unsevered. I recall reading about people cutting these deliberately to stop the alarm going off in the middle of the night when the boot opens of it's own accord inexplicably. Thanks

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
I wonder if they mean where the carpet pulls away so you can get to (at least) the motor for the roof........we have a bit of a dodgy auto roof but know exactly where to hit said motor with hammer:lol: I'd take a pic but it's getting dark here now soz

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a regular opening compartment on the right hand side bulkhead (as you look at the boot from the rear) ... and then there's an indentation on the left hand side but no opening door.

Take a stanley knife and cut around the left, top and right of the indentation and peel it open - you'll find the three extra fuses in there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mystery fusezzz

Oh right. My CD stack is in there. I don't think you needed to cut the carpet, it pulls away neatly with a little effort it goes back to, I found some brown relays but not the fuse marked in the manual '36' - I'll have another hunt. Seems pretty slipshod for alfa to be hiding fuses all over the place and out of reach. Seems they don't even keep consistency between one car and the next of the same model. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
68 Posts
"Seems pretty slipshod for alfa to be hiding fuses all over the place and out of reach. Seems they don't even keep consistency between one car and the next of the same model. Thanks for the reply."

"slipshod" - nah - that's Italian panache! :cheese:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Romuald, I'm not sure you're looking in the same place as me ... here's a pic of the hidden compartment.

You can see the connector block I used to reconnect the boot and filler flap release on the LHS, and you can see how I had to cut the panel to show the innards. The guilty fuse was one of the caged ones on top of the green units.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Boot relays - and wipers!

Yep that's where my cd cartridge is bolted, the fuse/relay plate with all it's contents is hanging loose. I also have three wires cut - and as you know the boot release not working.

New issue of windscreen wipers not operating. Have everything stripped out right now but all I can do is look at the motor and say, yes that's the motor and look at the circuit board it's teamed with in the same manner. Any one got any real ideas before I put it all back and go to the expensive place?:)

By the way - it's a different group of stuff on my model - one 40A fuse, orange case, which is OK and five relays.

Today I spoke to Steve at my local Fiat garage to try and get some facts. He said that any of these faults are unlikely to be relays. In the case of the boot lid button "common fault" he said buttons have been replaced. I asked if they screw out he said yes. He said sometimes moisture along the back is the problem and sometimes a clean will do. Also said check the solonoide near the switch in the boot lid by the lock, moisture again.

In the case of broken wiper motors - no easy fix, dry joints don't clean by the way and if its clicking then the relay is doing its job. See an auto electrician with crossed fingers or a breakers. And talking of breakers, he saw the local one crush a healthy looking R reg spider just this week. They get 150 a car. Might be worth offering 200 quid for a doner!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts