Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to inform early Giulia owners that there is a campaign to replace rubber stoppers on the boot lid since some owners have experienced that the boot lid is hitting the bumper during closing with paint scratches as a result. This happens at both corners of the lid.

The replacement takes 2 minutes, and those who have got paint damages will get the bumper re-painted.

So please check your cars and contact your dealer as soon as possible.

· Registered
340 Posts
Just to inform early Giulia owners that there is a campaign to replace rubber stoppers on the boot lid since some owners have experienced that the boot lid is hitting the bumper during closing with paint scratches as a result. This happens at both corners of the lid.

The replacement takes 2 minutes, and those who have got paint damages will get the bumper re-painted.

So please check your cars and contact your dealer as soon as possible.
Thanks for that. This is happening to mine.

· Registered
544 Posts
Thanks for the post,mine too, the dealer says there is nothing yet on the system. it going in a week to have a new front parking sensor, door creak looked at and a new fuel flap as the original does not line up with the panel.

will ask again as it will save another trip

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got mine replaced this morning. The new stoppers look identical compared to the old ones, but they are made of a stiffer rubber quality. The color is slightly different.

Luckily I haven't got scratches on my bumper, only a tiny mark on the left side that could be polished away.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, the fuel flap has been out of alignment on all Giulias I have seen so far. Seems to be the shape being to flat as compared to the body panel around. Looking forward to see the results on your car after replacement.

· Registered
50 Posts
Does the bootlid remain flush at the shutline?
Thanks guys. Been spending most of my time on the Giulia Forum. Hope to order a Quad as soon as next month but more likely in October. Any pics of the stoppers and washers?

· Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for this topic! i have the same issue mine is going in next month to have it fixed!

The girl at ARUK didn't know anything about it when i rang.

But luckily the dealership had a QV come in a few days earlier with the same issue.

· Registered
452 Posts
I just unscrewed the rubber stopper and placed a large nylon washer behind them thats around 3mm thick then screwed them up tight. I believe this probably has the same affect as the newly updated part nby the sounds.

My trunk has always taken a good slam to close (or sometimes a second slam if the first hasn't been hard enough). Is this the experience of others with a Giulia? It opens fine with the auto open key fob function (has a delay around 1 second). Just need a good shove to close properly first time.

My car was late December build and Im pretty sure it doesnt have the updated stoppers. It was showing a little bit of light rubbing bother side of the bumper just like many other have said. Not through the paint but on the clear coat - not visible when the trunk is shut etc and not worth having sorted out.

I was loosening the stoppers 1-1.5 turns to address the issue after reading this but the stoppers get quite loose and unwind themselves. i suspect they could drop off easily and get lost hence I used the washer and can now screw them up tight whilst still have them, sitting 3-4mm further out than they were. I think the original rubber on the stoppers is softer and shows signs of deforming quickly. that being said I suspect the replacement stoppers will do the same thing over time - they are rubber after all...

· Banned
2,493 Posts
hi Macca, November build here and exactly the same for me, rubber marks but not scratched, about a turn too loose and sometimes needs a couple of slams to shut
i found if i just guide it down slowly it shuts first go, the gentler, the better

question though, isnt it because the stoppers are too long that its causing this ? adding 3 mm to the length of the stopper is just going to make it hit the bumper more ?

· Registered
452 Posts
Yes papa. With the spacers I need to shut it harder to make it shut first go. But the alternative was to leave it how it was and its was obvious the lower corner edges of the trunk are compressing the PU rear bumper during the closing action so no choice but to make shutting it harder but the chance of chaffing less. I tried your method and low and behold it works! You have to have your hand on the trunk for then whole closing movement,. before I was releasing my hand from the trunk after the initial shove. I think the key is the way you are doing it. With the spacers it just needs a little more pressure but its manageable...keen to hear from others how hard their trunks are to shut. Compared to other vehicles i have owned it definitely needs a fair bit more force to close IMO.

· Banned
2,493 Posts
I tried your method and low and behold it works! You have to have your hand on the trunk for then whole closing movement,. before I was releasing my hand from the trunk after the initial shove. I think the key is the way you are doing it.
yep
trying to get the kids to learn the technique, they are in and out of that boot 3-4 times a day, and i was getting stressed seeing it get bashed like that

its just a gentle follow through in a downward motion and dont let go until it just gently eases itself into the latch, simple eh

i think its the hard slam that cause the oversized rubbers to bounce it back out of the latching action

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The boot is not made of aluminium, since we are using a magnetic "L" sign on it everytime my daughter is out practicing for her driver's licsence.
I have also learned that the boot closes more easily with a gentle push instead of slamming it

· Registered
452 Posts
yep
trying to get the kids to learn the technique, they are in and out of that boot 3-4 times a day, and i was getting stressed seeing it get bashed like that

its just a gentle follow through in a downward motion and dont let go until it just gently eases itself into the latch, simple eh

i think its the hard slam that cause the oversized rubbers to bounce it back out of the latching action
I agree on all counts. I think this is what is happening. It has a special technique to close properly. Very alfa ;-)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.