Alfa Romeo Forum banner

boot lid on 159

Tags
boot lid
3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  bcampbell74 
#1 ·
:confused: has anyone had problems with their bootlid i opened mine the other day and it the rear screen, plus 7000 miles and still only averaging 35 miles to the gallon any ideas

#5 ·
Ah! Clever lad;)

No, never happened to mine. Get it checked under warranty

Also - if it's the 2.4, you're getting more mpg than me - I'm averaging 33 (heavy right foot;) )

#6 ·
Not that heavy the day I flew past you....:p;)

And no Ive not heard of the bootlid hitting the rear screen.:confused:

#8 ·
I've seen one like this

Looking at 159s a few weeks back, saw one in Kings Lynn with exactly thris problem. Both hydraulic dampers had broken, and the boot hit the rear screen. Must have been like that a while as the paint was missing off the edge of the boot, and the screen appeared to be marked..

So - worth keeping an eye on.

Chris.

#11 ·
When I bought my 159 both rear dampers were broken, right on the ball joint, but on the fixing to the body. It took the garage about 5 minutes to replace both. Interestingly I thought that it was because there had been some minor accident damage, but couldn't find any other evidence that supported this.

Incidentally, I noticed with snow on the boot lid it changes the weight distribution and the 'lid does tend to gain momentum just before it reaches maximum opening, putting more strain on the ball joints....

#14 · (Edited)
I take it your missus aint reading your post over your shoulder, 159John?...................
.........................159John are you there?.........................hello 159John?....................
someone call 999.................i think 159John's in trouble:cheese::lol:

#16 ·
Yep -- this has happened to me now too. I noticed the top of one of the struts had snapped off a month ago and thought it was mainly cosmetic. Now they've both broken and in a Colin Chapman-esque design where the struts do a job that the hinges should, the edge of the lip can hit the rear window. My dealer says he doesn't know of this happening a lot. And it's not as if the boot gets used that often.

#19 ·
Yep, mine have got worse and one became detached completely from the lid. I'm just hoping the replacement (under warranty next week) occurs before it goes through the rear window...

They might be made by Stabilus but they are really flimsy units compared to their motorcycle steering dampers, let alone the ones that hold up monster Saab hatches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.