Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quite frankly, Amazon is trying their best to hide how to make a complaint. But at least I found this page after a while of googling:

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/index.cfm?event=main.home.chooseLanguage

In case this doesn’t help, send a complaint to the EU Commission to make them aware of your problems of getting Amazon to comply with EU rules.

In case replacement is needed from others than Amazon, i´d recommend this:

Alfa Romeo 156 Boot

PS. Personally, I have been using Magneti Marelli on the SW for about 3 years by now and they seem as good as new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for that.

The struts in your link are MUCH more expensive than either the Monroes or Magneti Marellis I bought previously. And although I'm not a firm believer in the "you get what you pay for" principle (too many exceptions to that "rule"), it does make me wonder if this price difference is due to some real difference in quality. But then again, your MMs are doing fine, so I don't know what to think. Is there such a thing as fake struts?:unsure:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sold by Amazon, in fact. I realize that this reduces the odds that I obtained fakes.

Given that the "sockets" of the struts are plastic, I can't help but wonder how the originals lasted as long as they did. But in any case, I'm sure that these things are not meant to be replaced every few months.

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
Sold by Amazon, in fact. I realize that this reduces the odds that I obtained fakes.

Given that the "sockets" of the struts are plastic, I can't help but wonder how the originals lasted as long as they did. But in any case, I'm sure that these things are not meant to be replaced every few months.
I thought the original ones for use with the spoiler had metal ends?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's very interesting! I think I disposed of the originals at the time I installed the Monroes, and at that time, it did not occur to me to see if there is a difference in that area. If what you say is correct, then it would explain the double failure I've had. It may also explain the significant price difference between the ones I bought and the ones referenced by the link in EngholmP's post above, assuming those do in fact have metal ends.

So that's what I have to establish next - whether or not the originals had metal ends.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
The ends probably unscrew from the strut, so if all that’s failed is the plastic ends, you may be able to get some metal ends and fit them to your struts.

I suspect the ends may be close to universal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have used cheap Magneti Marelli struts for a few of my cars (including non-Alfa) before. The quality is not great but works for most except the 156. I believe the difference is in the damping.

On the original strut, at the end of the travel it seems the damping increases so that the opening slows down. The MM strut does not do that and hit the end of travel with more speed than the original ones. This is true for all the MM struts I have used, not only the 156 one. On one of my 156 the end of travel speed is so great that the bottom mount attached to the car body is starting to shift. It seems there is a risk of the mount being torn from the car body so I stopped using them and swapped out for a set of original struts. That is one reason the MM struts feel “cheap” to me.

On all my cars (again including the non-Alfa) the original struts are Lift-o-mat supplied by German company Stabilus. I guess they have a big market share.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The ends probably unscrew from the strut, so if all that’s failed is the plastic ends, you may be able to get some metal ends and fit them to your struts.

I suspect the ends may be close to universal.
It is the ends that keep breaking. It's an interesting idea, but I haven't come across anyone selling the ends separately.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have used cheap Magneti Marelli struts for a few of my cars (including non-Alfa) before. The quality is not great but works for most except the 156. I believe the difference is in the damping.

On the original strut, at the end of the travel it seems the damping increases so that the opening slows down. The MM strut does not do that and hit the end of travel with more speed than the original ones. This is true for all the MM struts I have used, not only the 156 one. On one of my 156 the end of travel speed is so great that the bottom mount attached to the car body is starting to shift. It seems there is a risk of the mount being torn from the car body so I stopped using them and swapped out for a set of original struts. That is one reason the MM struts feel “cheap” to me.

On all my cars (again including the non-Alfa) the original struts are Lift-o-mat supplied by German company Stabilus. I guess they have a big market share.
Very good info, thank you. Your description of the MM's behaviour could explain how they would break i.e if the acceleration is not restricted manually.

I've seen the Stabilus for sale, and I was not aware these are the makers of the Lift-o mats. Thanks for that info as well.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts