Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all.

One of the boot struts on my 1999 Alfa 156 has broken. Looking for a replacement, almost every seller makes a distinction between boots with and without a spoiler.

The indicated original part numbers in various sites are:

60651067 without spoiler
60657685 with spoiler

My car has a spoiler, so supposedly I should aim for 60657685. However, the one in my car now is a LIFT-O-MAT showing 60651067 i.e. the no-spoiler version.

So I have to wonder about the following:

1. Are these the original struts, or did some garage break something and replace them without my knowledge?
2. If these are the originals, then why am I seeing the wrong part number?

I suppose the most logical explanation is that a garage replaced them using the wrong (i.e. no spoiler) part number.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Maybe your car didn't had a spoiler from birth and someone has fitted it without changing the gas springs.
I have checked ePER and the part numbers you refer to are correct

60651067 without spoiler
60657685 with spoiler

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
If you have the spoiler, definitely use the ones for the spoiler..... you don't want the spoiler going through the back window...!!

Most likely a spoiler added post production, either at PDI or at the dealer or by someone later.
They should have changed the struts to the spoiler version at the same time.

Or, maybe to original struts wore out and someone just stuck on the first s/h set they could find.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am the original owner of this car, and the spoiler is part of the Sports package (or whatever it was actually called) I chose at the time of purchase. I can't guess when the original struts were replaced, but these wrong ones certainly lasted for quite a while, without any obvious problems.

I can certainly accept the possibility that one local garage replaced them after damaging the originals. It wouldn't be the only thing they broke, the fools!:grumpy:

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
I am the original owner of this car, and the spoiler is part of the Sports package (or whatever it was actually called) I chose at the time of purchase. I can't guess when the original struts were replaced, but these wrong ones certainly lasted for quite a while, without any obvious problems.

I can certainly accept the possibility that one local garage replaced them after damaging the originals. It wouldn't be the only thing they broke, the fools!:grumpy:
The spoiler was an extra, it wasn't part of the "Sportpack" bits. So could easily have been added at PDI or at the dealer and they forgot to upgrade the struts.

I guess they've lasted because you've been careful. Many owners weren't so careful!!

Edit: just noticed you're in Portugal, so detailed specifications may be different there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spoiler was an extra, it wasn't part of the "Sportpack" bits. So could easily have been added at PDI or at the dealer and they forgot to upgrade the struts.

I guess they've lasted because you've been careful. Many owners weren't so careful!!

Edit: just noticed you're in Portugal, so detailed specifications may be different there.
I assumed the spoiler was part of the Sportpack, but perhaps not. I have no specific recollection. Regardless, would the originals been LIFT-O-MAT brand? How can I determine this?

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
The big spoiler was an add-on .. I know, I had a SportPack 2 from new too. And had the big wing.

When I ordered mine we only had a photocopy of an italian brochure ..

Sportpack was lowered suspension (Eibach springs), leather steering wheel and gear know, side skirts and either standard seats, cloth Recaro or Leather seats depending on level 1, 2 or 3.

Unfortunately after 18 years on fun and tears (more fun!) I had to part with it due to tin-worm!!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The big spoiler was an add-on .. I know, I had a SportPack 2 from new too. And had the big wing./QUOTE]
My spoiler is different from the one in your image, and is more or less like this one. It is metal, with a brake light:

SPORT rear wing with brake light for Alfa Romeo 156 - SPOILER-SHOP.com

Perhaps my spoiler is not heavy enough to require the spoiler-version of the struts.

Edit: After I discovered the specs of the two types of struts, the above sentence makes no sense. As indicated in my next post, the spoiler requires more push, not less.

I'd still be interested to know if the originals are LIFT-O-MAT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just as a point of interest, I found some specs of the two different struts, and the differences are as follows:

1. Amount of travel 85mm (spoiler version) vs 90mm (non-spoiler)

2. Expulsion Force 460N (spoiler) vs 370N (non-spoiler).

I'm not sure about the significance of the 5mm difference in travel amount, but I've had no problem with the 90mm version. Perhaps more important is the difference in Expulsion Force, where the numbers lead one to believe that this is simply a matter of the heavier, spoiler version requiring more force to open the boot. Come to think of it, perhaps that is why I have to manually open the boot after unlocking it:)

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The low spolier (like the Lester one) won't need reduced travel struts as there is no danger of it hitting the rear screen. It will also be lighter than the high spoiler.

Perhaps the spoiler struts are only needed for the high spoiler.
I've never seen a 156 boot open by itself. Once released, every one I've ever seen needs to be lifted open.

I saw one with a high spolier once. If opened carelessly, the wing could touch the rear glass. I guess it must have had the standard struts as it was also quite heavy to open.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Alfa supplied more than one spolier for the 156 saloon.
The low one with 3 support legs (one in the centre also) had an integrated LED brake light. It was made by Zender. I don't think struts specifically for spoliers are needed for this type.

The other one was the high wing which was part of the aero package which was homologated for racing reasons. It only had a substantial support leg either side and appears to be the most popular spolier fitted to 156s. I think this is what the spoiler strut was intended for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have replaced mine because the original broke .Then I put Magneti Marelli ones on and I had to have them replaced under warranty because they broke but now have gone again. I also tried MEYLE type on it and thats snapped as well now. :grumpy:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The low spolier (like the Lester one) won't need reduced travel struts as there is no danger of it hitting the rear screen. It will also be lighter than the high spoiler.

Perhaps the spoiler struts are only needed for the high spoiler.
I've never seen a 156 boot open by itself. Once released, every one I've ever seen needs to be lifted open.

I saw one with a high spolier once. If opened carelessly, the wing could touch the rear glass. I guess it must have had the standard struts as it was also quite heavy to open.
Useful info, and it all makes sense now. Thanks.

My comment about having to open the boot manually was just a thought that occurred to me after seeing the difference in the expulsion forces between the two versions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have replaced mine because the original broke .The I put Magneti Marelli ones on and I had to have them replaced under warranty because they broke but now have gone again. I also tried MEYLE type on it and thats snapped as well now. :grumpy:
Hmmm, your comment cam just in time, and made me cancel the order I already placed for Magneti Marelli! I thought this was a reliable brand. So now I have to wonder which I should buy...:disappointed::ponder:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I came across Monroe locally at a good price (I am not in the UK), so will try those.

Again, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Even Lesjofors (spring manufacturer) list boot struts for the 156 but I imagine they are only the standard 370N ones.

Both my 156s have the original Fiat Group LIFT-O-MAT struts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I'm back, with the same issue.

Can anyone explain why the original boot struts on 1999 156 lasted about 19 years, and subsequent replacements (first Monroe, then Magneti Marelli) break after a few months? I believe there is a post in this thread describing a similar problem.

Also, does anyone know how one makes a warranty claim on a product (the MMs) purchased from Amazon (.es, in this case)?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts