Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi chaps

Well finally got myself a gorgeous boost gauge for my clover. About time too considering how far i have come with her. Went for a really classy limited edition GT tuning item. Which i think looks in line with the GT's interior, classy and not to ricey or intrusive or offensive the the eye.
Anyhow my question to those who have fitted one is where is best and easiest place to get the boost hose through to the engine bay from the cabin?

Cheers guys.

Damien

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Ran mine through the big grommet under the near side scuttle, it enters behind the glove box, so easy to keep everything hidden and tidy.

Only pain is its has a thick sound deadening layer over it inside the cabin so it does take a bit of wriggling to get through.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ran mine through the big grommet under the near side scuttle, it enters behind the glove box, so easy to keep everything hidden and tidy.

Only pain is its has a thick sound deadening layer over it inside the cabin so it does take a bit of wriggling to get through.
Thanks Paul..:thumbup:

Thought it might be the only way. Hope i have enough boost hose..:paranoid: Will have a good looky tomorrow.

Damien.

·
Registered
387 Posts
guys can you post how to when you are done? :type:
i want to get one done too

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well spent the morning taking the scuttle panel off to see if there were any easy routes into the engine bay for the boost tube for my gauge. F'k me! Nothing.. :paranoid: I started looking behind the glove box, taking the actual shelving out, but still after a good poke around nothing obvious? Its gone be a "from below the car job. She is due an oil change soon, so will have look then when i am under there and the under tray is off.. What a f'king waste of time that was today..! Gutted:paperbag:

Damien.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Must be a grommet somewhere mate.. I'm sure few wires must need to go through the firewall

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
It's really hard to see the grommet from inside the car, easier from under the scuttle, but there is a big one tucked behind the N/s bonnet hinge., it's hidden by that awful sponge bung that collects leaves and water.
Pinched this picture off 156.net just to show roughly where it is.

69dbf1b0.jpg

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's really hard to see the grommet from inside the car, easier from under the scuttle, but there is a big one tucked behind the N/s bonnet hinge., it's hidden by that awful sponge bung that collects leaves and water.
Pinched this picture off 156.net just to show roughly where it is.

View attachment 640282

Thanks mate much appreciated.. My god i had all the scuttle out today too.. ! So that will get me to behind the glovebox correct..:thumbup:

Damien.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
You could also tap into the MAP sensor and run an electronic gauge or display of some sort, rather than using a pressure driven gauge. A very clever person could integrate it into the speedo/rev counter cluster so it displayed on the centre screen where the radio information usually is.

Jasons 147 GTA did something similar on his supercharged GTA and wrote a lot about it, but for some reason his Youtube vids are all gone:

https://sites.google.com/site/canopenerdevice/

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Thanks mate much appreciated.. My god i had all the scuttle out today too.. ! So that will get me to behind the glovebox correct..:thumbup:

Damien.
Yeah it comes out right up behind the glovebox, you will need to contort a bit in the passenger footwell to reach it but it's pretty easy once you get the pipework through.

Where you mounting the gauge?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
You could also tap into the MAP sensor and run an electronic gauge or display of some sort, rather than using a pressure driven gauge. A very clever person could integrate it into the speedo/rev counter cluster so it displayed on the centre screen where the radio information usually is.

Jasons 147 GTA did something similar on his supercharged GTA and wrote a lot about it, but for some reason his Youtube vids are all gone:

https://sites.google.com/site/canopenerdevice/
Yeah I remember that, he installed a custom ECU, hacked the CAN Bus network and did all sorts of stuff including make all the needles do a sweep when the car started, looked really cool.

I did it an easier way - I installed an Android headunit and used the Torque app and an OBD lead, installed the Torque widgets and got a boost gauge on my dash, easy ! Can have pretty much any extra gauge like, taken directly from the engine management.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I remember that, he installed a custom ECU, hacked the CAN Bus network and did all sorts of stuff including make all the needles do a sweep when the car started, looked really cool.

I did it an easier way - I installed an Android headunit and used the Torque app and an OBD lead, installed the Torque widgets and got a boost gauge on my dash, easy ! Can have pretty much any extra gauge like, taken directly from the engine management.

Sweeping needles on start up... Awesome..Where the hell do i sign up? Does it have auto rev match facility too lol..:thumbup: Love it.

Damien.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Lol, no, but his site is called CanOpenR, as you probably saw from the link and hes in Australia.

It would probably cost a small fortune to buy, send over, fit, etc . . . but seeing as you seem to have spent one already on your car, I guess your ll be getting one soon ! :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Right with you now...:thumbup: Saw that infact i removed the grommet and thought..sod that! As i thought there might be something behind the sound deadening!

So is it a case if drilling a hole through the sound deadening then? :yes:

Damien.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Right with you now...:thumbup: Saw that infact i removed the grommet and thought..sod that! As i thought there might be something behind the sound deadening!

Damien.
Think thats what he meant - I drilled through the sound deadening to fit the battery lead through when I put the battery in the boot, well I say drilled, I used an air powered die grinder, it went through pretty easily but I guess a drill would work.

But depending on how thick the wire is you could use the smaller grommet to the right, its oblong and already has the inertia switch wire running through it, there should be a blanked off hole in it already that you can open up, thats what I did to retro fit the Bose power lead. (Edit: I guess you cant do that as I guessing from your use of the words "boost hose" the gauge is a vacuum powered one)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts

Damien.

I fed a lead through that grommet to power my subwoofer/amp ...definitely didn't need to drill anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts