Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a book from library which is mainly about Phil Hill and Von Trip and Ferrari. It's got me interested in catching up on the cars and drivers pre-war and post war into the 60/70's F1. Can anyone recommend one book that covers all this. I know there are dozens about specific drivers and marques but I would like to briefly cover the lot.

Ta

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
brispencer, the nearest match I can think of would be:

History of Motor Racing, by William Boddy, published 1980. Second hand copies are cheap and available:

History of Motor Racing by William B. Boddy, MBE - New, Rare & Second-hand Books Online at Alibris UK

My own bookshelves are packed with more specific racing books, and I'm sometimes a bit sniffy about the "complete history of everything" books, but the Boddy one is exceptionally good. Plus, ending in 1980ish, it covers exactly the period you're interested in.

Happy reading - I hope this sets you on the course of bankrupting yourself buying endless books, as I have.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brispencer, the nearest match I can think of would be:

History of Motor Racing, by William Boddy, published 1980. Second hand copies are cheap and available:

History of Motor Racing by William B. Boddy, MBE - New, Rare & Second-hand Books Online at Alibris UK

My own bookshelves are packed with more specific racing books, and I'm sometimes a bit sniffy about the "complete history of everything" books, but the Boddy one is exceptionally good. Plus, ending in 1980ish, it covers exactly the period you're interested in.

Happy reading - I hope this sets you on the course of bankrupting yourself buying endless books, as I have.
Many thanks, I've been looking around and I see what you mean about cost. Kings of Nurburgring £125 :wow:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Archie and the Listers is a fantastic book - truly inspirational and one mans determination to compete at the highest level despite a disability

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Archie and the Listers is a fantastic book - truly inspirational and one mans determination to compete at the highest level despite a disability
Definitely one of the best driver biographies, excellently written.

There's a thread recommending good motor racing books on the Motor Sport magazine site here:

Recommended Books | Motor Sport Magazine Forum

I even agree with a lot of them!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have over 500 motor sport / motoring books and used to spend a fortune with Chaters

Alex Zanardis autobiography is a great read and although expensive Mon Ami Mate, written by Chris Nixon detailing the careers of Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorn is a great book

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have over 500 motor sport / motoring books and used to spend a fortune with Chaters

Alex Zanardis autobiography is a great read and although expensive Mon Ami Mate, written by Chris Nixon detailing the careers of Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorn is a great book
A copy of Mon Ami Mate was on the bay last week. I took a pot shot at it but it finally went for £72. I'll keep looking in charity shops :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts