Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after the recent 'issues' and the fact that the belts were last replaced 3 years ago I decided I should bite the bullet and put the Alfa through a proper service.

So on Wednesday she will be visiting the good people of Northants Alfa and have the Cambelt and Tensioners, Balance Belts, Aux Belts, Variator and Water Pump done, and the 48,000 service. Need to get the brake fluid replaced as they are very spongy and hopefully they can highlight anything suspect or needing replaced in the future. Im fairly sure the ARB bushes are shot too but just need this confirmed (knocking at low speeds).

Been quoted £599 inc for all this which I think is reasonable...we shall reserve judgement until I get the car back though eh? :)

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
NorthantsAlfa have been looking after mine, very pleased with their work....Jillyflower takes her spider there as well and she has been pleased with them.......hope you feel the same when your works been done.....:)

Do you live local?..I'm in NN8.....

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
Might see you around, what colours your 156?......were you out near Towcester last Saturday morning about 0800?

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
If you see a nutter in a red GTV waving and flashing lights that will be me......:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They started work on it at 8am and I got a call at 12.30 to say it was ready. Very quick!!!

Only thing that was highlighted were the rear suspension arms and hub bushes. Quoted £222 all in to do that but I think I'm going to tackle them myself after a bit more research.

Car is driving pretty much the same as when I put it in except the engine sounds a bit more together and the brakes seem to have been bleed properly and they bite like I would have expected them to.
I now have the added peace of mind that the belts are now good for another 3 years or 36k.

Andy commented on how solid (in a good way) the front suspension was so were that knocking is coming from I have no idea, definately doesn't sound like the back but hey. I know its not the ARB bushes as the laon car I had had the problem and mine didn't make that noise, wasn't coming from the same area.

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
Good to hear your pleased with their work....:thumbs:.....the work they have done for me has been great, and comparing prices quoted by other members and their local indies they have allways been less.....just hope I don't need them till my next service.....:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the way they give you a 156 loaner car with 233,000miles on it. Makes your own car feel awesome after giving it back :)

That said it was suprisingly sound considering the mileage.
It just reaffirmed that I absolutely need a spoiler on my car.

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
I like the way they give you a 156 loaner car with 233,000miles on it.
Just shows how good Alfas are if looked after properly...:thumbs:

Hope mine is still going strong with that sort of mileage.......;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely, my eyes nearly jumped out of their sockets when I saw the mileage.
My first thoughts were...
oh the dash lights don't work, I can only unlock it from the passenger side, fuel gauge has no light, passenger side sun visor is missing, ARB is knackered, takes a wee while to start......233,000 miles!!! Good Girl!!! Almost fell in love with the thing!!!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
They started work on it at 8am and I got a call at 12.30 to say it was ready. Very quick!!!

Only thing that was highlighted were the rear suspension arms and hub bushes. Quoted £222 all in to do that but I think I'm going to tackle them myself after a bit more research.

Car is driving pretty much the same as when I put it in except the engine sounds a bit more together and the brakes seem to have been bleed properly and they bite like I would have expected them to.
I now have the added peace of mind that the belts are now good for another 3 years or 36k.

Andy commented on how solid (in a good way) the front suspension was so were that knocking is coming from I have no idea, definately doesn't sound like the back but hey. I know its not the ARB bushes as the laon car I had had the problem and mine didn't make that noise, wasn't coming from the same area.
on mine the air filer box had worked loose and was knocking on the framework next to it,

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Absolutely, my eyes nearly jumped out of their sockets when I saw the mileage.
My first thoughts were...
oh the dash lights don't work, I can only unlock it from the passenger side, fuel gauge has no light, passenger side sun visor is missing, ARB is knackered, takes a wee while to start......233,000 miles!!! Good Girl!!! Almost fell in love with the thing!!!
lol you can't beat gettin a crappy loan car, makes you so grateful when you get yours back, the worst one i ever had, was brand new but!! it was a bog standard 998cc Kia Picanto ehhhhh tin can on wheels yeah, lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts