Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was razzing on the way to work this morning, and noticed that as I blootered it up to 7000rpm, from about 6000rpm there was a cloud of smoke behind me...not bad, but enough to worry me :eek:

Anyway, continued to blooter it and the cloud dissapeared. When I noticed it, it was the first kicking of the day, so.......

....I've said in another thread that my car is pushing more oil up the breather than I think it should. I'm hoping that this cloud was caused by oil sitting in the intake and when I blootered it, it all got sucked into the intake and burned off.
I'm probably clutching at straws, but is this possible ??? The smoking didn't happen again that I noticed. :rolleyes: :confused: :(

·
Administrator
45,303 Posts
My 145 used to belch out a bit of black smoke on the occasion when it was really booted for the first time in a while. As far as I know, never had anything wrong with her. Just cleaning out the pipes :)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Marlon, next time you wash your car don't forget the exhaust. ;)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My old 1990 Lancia did that. Contrary to what people think I believe a car needs a damn good thrashing once in a while, to clear all the cr*p out.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
EddieGTA said:
My old 1990 Lancia did that. Contrary to what people think I believe a car needs a damn good thrashing once in a while, to clear all the cr*p out.
Thats actually very reassuring to hear being same lump n all,

problem with Marlons is that it lives a 7000rpm ;) but then theres nothing wrong with that :D :D

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
I dont' know how you get time to see that. :D

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hey Marlon, I've heard that these engines WILL run at less than 5000rpm- or maybe that's a wicked lie :cheese:

Try reversing instead- you seem to be quite good at that! :cheese:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey, mine did this too the other day, just before it binged off the rev limiter. Feckin saxo needed seeing off! Was slightly concerned, but then she still sings sweetly and runs like a dream so not worried at all. Going in for a service in the next few weeks anyway so that should show up if there are any probs. Think this is normal when booting it, surely at 7k rpm, the injectors must be dumping a whole load of fuel into the manifold, then when you drop the clutch and throttle, closes the throttle plate there may be a moment when the mixture is very rich, hence black smoke. But then again I just made that theory up! Sounds ok though :lol: hehe.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ally said:
Hey Marlon, I've heard that these engines WILL run at less than 5000rpm- or maybe that's a wicked lie :cheese:

Try reversing instead- you seem to be quite good at that! :cheese:
I know but it's soooo boring ;)

Reversing...hmmmm......don't think I ever wanna reverse at 70mph again !!!!!

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
:D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Black Beauty said:
As TM implied 7000 rpm in 1st is 40mph, in 2nd its approx 70, in 3rd its 100+

Where or how did you get time to see this smoke?
While glancing in the mirror to see how much ground I've pulled on the guy tailing me ;)

The smoke started probably at about 6000rpm (ish). I have loadsa time to look in my mirror as normally peeps pull outa the way as soon as they see this 10 year old noisy Alfa coming up fast with it's engine screaming !!!! :)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
marlon said:
While glancing in the mirror to see how much ground I've pulled on the guy tailing me ;)
Ah! :D But don't tell us you were having any doubts! ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dunno...there is some good machinery kicking about here.
Also a lot of Wolfs hidden in Sheeps clothing :eek: .

I witnessed a 309 Gti with 4 up rip the arse outa an Integra R at Crail about a year ago.
Really, the 309 looked like a normal GTi, the Type R was all singing and dancing and doing high revving doodahs at the start line. Off they went with the Integra in front....by quite a margin, when suddenly the 309 roared away and overtook it. The 4 guys in the 309 waving at the lone Type R driver. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. Beat it by 3 seconds down the quarter mile too !!!! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
That's the most impressive situation. :lol: Hilarious but also a terrible blushing moment. :eek: :cheese:

4 guys in the 309? :eek: Was the Peug rocket pushed? :eek:

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
THROTTLEMAN said:
4 guys in the 309? :eek: Was the Peug rocket pushed? :eek:
At least! :eek:

It had to be modded... :eek:

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Of course it could be 4 little guys. :lol: