Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps

Just had the 156 rear ended...no one hurt thankfully...but a question.

I,car A was driving,car B pulled out on the left from a side road without looking my way....i slammed on the brakes but managed to stop before i hit him.....car C behind me couldn't stop & rear ended our 156.

Now i know that anyone who hits a car from behind is at fault but the owner of car A ( the puller outer ) has admitted blame to the police who were called.

Who will take the rap for this ??

Ps.very little damage done to Alfa but car B's clio is a right mess.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
thats a tricky one.... if the guy has admitted to the police its his fault then it should be ok. What could happen though is that the insurance of the guy who rear ended you will either pay for the damage or write the car off and then persue the guy who pulled out for the money. but its complicated. i see you are in Ireland, whereabouts? and if its the south then which insurance company? please dont say Quinn Insurance :rant:

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Its all up to the Insurance company i think. I had a similar situation as you about 2 years ago.

I had just bought the 156 and had it two weeks whilst driving through Waterford City Centre a stupid...erm.... woman just pulled out with her little Polo or some sh3tbox without looking and ploughed into the front wing of the car. Police called and all she said is that it was my fault for not looking at her :mad:

Photos taken, details swapped and insurances called (guess who i had) was sent to have a valuation of the damage done and it was something like €2k!!! new wing and bumper then resprayed, new wishbones upper and lower as she snapped them or something, new alloy and some other bits and of course labour!!

was it resolved? nope... after waiting for about 7 months for the other insurance to take liability and constant fights nothing was resolved and i ended up having to fix it myself. If i ever meet the ***** again I will be the last person she sees :mad:

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All in all,the 156 is has come off very lightly..superficial damage.....which i don't know i could be bothered getting done as the car is 12 years old.

The only thing is the boot which doesn't close...but by unscrewing the bolts a wee bit and sticking a piece of plastic in,i've managed to fix it.

Though i have to admit my wife is (truthfully) complaining of a stiff back....the rest of us are all fine....and i know i might be mad but i can't claim for anything that isn't wrong with me.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
you know what you should do? "accidentally" bang your head on a shelf or something and then wait until around 3am and then go with your wife for a check up complaining of feeling sick etc... i imagine your insurance companies screw you over as much as ours do so get your moneys worth!! :cheese:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think you messed up your ABC's mate.

What should happen is your compant claim of the guy/girl that rear ended you, and it's up to that company to claim off the chap/girl that pulled out!

Either way it's not your fault!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
The claim for money is secondary, if your wife has damage get it looked at asap, I stalled a bit and had to go through months of physiotherapy which in the end didn't completely resolve the problems with mobility I had/have.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
bear you should be ashamed of yourself!:tut: Its because of people adopting the same ideology as you that honest drivers are screwed to the wall when renewals come-up! If Ronan is hurt then sure enough he should do but! remember that if you make a claim for whiplash now you will not be able to make a claim again in the future if you were to have a serious accident! KARMA!

Crikey! ive just read Ro's post after and great minds think alike!

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey EauRouge....let's get our bong out man and smoke the good smoke.... peace,man :cool:

BTW...the police have details of my wife's injuries anyway...so we'll see how they develop....hopefully into chronic back pain worth squillions.....just as long as she doesn't moan too much !!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
you should be ashamed of yourself!
say one joke and you get attacked for it :rolleyes:

Believe me Ive had my insurance go up like you wouldnt believe and it is because of these people, its also because of drunk drivers, foreign uninsured drivers, etc. So as said... Relax :) im not serious about it.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eau.....on second thoughts....i'll let the assessors check the chassis out.

Bear.....know you're only joking but i can fully empathise....too many scumbags out there pushing up our insurance.

You can smoke my bong as well !! :cool:

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
No worries bear, my insurance went up by 40% this year and the reason given was the amount of people making claims has shot through the roof, so im a little pi-ssed.:)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
i cant blame you we are all in the same boat... is it just me or does it seem like its sinking :lol:

Been quite a while since ive "smelt" the bong stuff so im a little tempted :lol: Ive a Ukrainian lad working with me at the moment and he said that in Ukraine insurance isnt obligatory and that any crash is just settled "under the table".. civilized behaviour i think :) also a Polish lad that says in Poland there is no car tax as it is included into the fuel price! WTF!!! if you dont put in fuel then you dont pay tax... cant understand why other countries dont do the same. the more you fil up the more you pay... seems like a no brainer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Latest:

The assessors have come back to say that we have £1000 of damage.

Now we have to take into consideration that the assessors are the company/garage that will be doing the work.

Can i get my own garage to look at the damage and if so,turn it to my advantage.

I thought the assessors might have written the car off and allowed me to buy it back at a knock down price?

The problem is i've heard this garage does ONLY insurance work,get a set fee from the insurers and work at the car whether the damage is really above or below quoted assessment.

My car is a 1999 156 2l...110k..."very" average condition.

Any thoughts,chaps ??

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Sorry Ronan i accidently deleted post but! i hope you got the drift!? Now the negotiation process begins and the ball is in your court and do not let the 3rd partys insurer push you around!

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Strange thing is since then,the insurers are sending another assessor out in the next 10 mins.

After popping into an independent garage i know....he says it's well over £1k of damage...back bumper,metal panel behind it all bent (not allowing spare wheel to be removed) and boot not closing properly.

Let's see how this develops.

And guess what.....i've got a sore neck......truthfully !! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts