Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've started to notice quite a few bonnet chips which I presume are from road stones flicking up.

If any of you have tackled these before, what product have you used?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I use a Chipex kit, the colour match for my AR130 is better than Alfa's own touch up stick. I do not follow the Chipex instructions but have developed my own technique which leaves a better finish. Firstly I apply the paint to the damaged areas an then leave it for 24 hours. I then inspect the painted areas to see how it has dried. It will usually need a second application which I then leave for another 24 hours. Now I will have raised 'pimples' of paint on the damaged areas. Now, instead of using their blending lotion I apply Autoglym polish and slowly smooth the pimples down to the level of the undamaged paint. I have found that the Chipex blending lotion just strips off the applied paint and leaves the repair with indents.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I use the AMMO-NYC procedure. It works very well if you are patient, but takes a few goes to master... I've found I'm getting better at it and I'm starting to redo my first attempts.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I use a Chipex kit, the colour match for my AR130 is better than Alfa's own touch up stick. I do not follow the Chipex instructions but have developed my own technique which leaves a better finish. Firstly I apply the paint to the damaged areas an then leave it for 24 hours. I then inspect the painted areas to see how it has dried. It will usually need a second application which I then leave for another 24 hours. Now I will have raised 'pimples' of paint on the damaged areas. Now, instead of using their blending lotion I apply Autoglym polish and slowly smooth the pimples down to the level of the undamaged paint. I have found that the Chipex blending lotion just strips off the applied paint and leaves the repair with indents.
I find that using the plastic blade inside the cloth just strips the paint back off but just using the cloth and lightly rubbing to remove any paint on the surrounding area but leaving it on the chip does the job fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts