Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my catch seems to have died, its only holding the bonnet down now by the safety catch which is making me reluctand to drive it. No matter how hard I slam it it doesn't "click" even opening the bonnet and using a screwdriver won't make it "click". Could this be fixed? The cable is fine.
Any thoughts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a stupid reply but have you tryed just pullling the handle again whilst it open, the cable might just be stuck, this happened to me the other day.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah first thing I tried, used wd and everything, they are pretty simple so can't see why it would fail or how. Ho hum

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
It may just need cleaning properly then oiling so that both catches move freely and spring back on thier own.

DON'T drive it just on the secondary catch.

·
Registered
355 Posts
my catch seems to have died, its only holding the bonnet down now by the safety catch which is making me reluctand to drive it. No matter how hard I slam it it doesn't "click" even opening the bonnet and using a screwdriver won't make it "click". Could this be fixed? The cable is fine.
Any thoughts

dont drive it untill you get it sorted :( mine flew open while i was on the A55 going a tad bit fast and im lucky to be alive hun!!

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Alfa did a recall for the bonnet catch issue - they routinely get clagged up with c**p and semi-seize. Not a difficult job to sort, though.....

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Alfa did a recall for the bonnet catch issue - they routinely get clagged up with c**p and semi-seize. Not a difficult job to sort, though.....
+1 my bonnet was getting harder and harder to shut, so I took it off cleaned it completely with some turps (all I had to hand) greased it up and put it back on, it now works a treat :thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,305 Posts
+1 to 156Chris, take it off, soak it in something potent then re-attach and re-grease. Thats what I did and have had no bother since, my bonnet was getting harder and harder to close too.

·
Registered
862 Posts
good advice - mine took a bit of perseverance but freed ok in the end , make sure you regrease every couple of months to keep on working

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi prob sounds like a stupid question but is it difficult to take off? my bonnet has started to open by itself, i can push it shut but with a bit of a jank it opens easy enough

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Hi prob sounds like a stupid question but is it difficult to take off? my bonnet has started to open by itself, i can push it shut but with a bit of a jank it opens easy enough
yep ... just a few bolts IIRC

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
and is it likely to just need a clean and regrease?
With my mystical powers of being able to see your car over the interweb, I predict yes :lol:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Don't drive a car with a bonnet that opens until the safety catch stops it. They fly open at motorway speed and write your car off. There are lots of threads on here about it. For a quick fix, spray lots of WD40 over the bonnet catch and slam the bonnet several times. (Then fix it properly when the weather improves!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts