Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, is there a way to open the bonnet on the 147 without having to damage any trim, just been out to the car to check oil and found the release catch did nothing, pulled cable by hand and is now all pulled through.

I did search the forums first but could only find ways to open the 156 and thats by smashing the trim to get to it.

Apart from that very happy with the car, had it almost two years now, got the belts done as soon as i got it and not had any trouble apart from this, so prob quite lucky really.

Thanks

Ash

·
Registered
8 Posts
Release cable

Removal of the undertray is the way to go. Had the same problem on my old 155. My local mechanic spent HOURS and HOURS fitting the new cable!!! Luckily, he knows me well and likes Alfas so only charged me £15 to complete the work. If he had charged by the hour it would have run into three figures. The moral of the story is to keep the cable well lubricated so that it doesn't fail. Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removal of the undertray is the way to go. Had the same problem on my old 155. My local mechanic spent HOURS and HOURS fitting the new cable!!! Luckily, he knows me well and likes Alfas so only charged me £15 to complete the work. If he had charged by the hour it would have run into three figures. The moral of the story is to keep the cable well lubricated so that it doesn't fail. Best of luck!!!
You could remove undertray and see if you can pull the mech somehow!
Thanks both of you, shall try and go down that road and get it open.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only just got around to getting the bonnet open, I need a new grill as i had to cut away the top two bars just below the badge, then remove three nuts to the locking mechanism, i can now lift the bonnet approx 6" (due to the alarm wiring to the bonnet catch). My plan is to then re-grease the catch, re-attach the cable and re-fit the catch, fit new grill and job done, question is how do i release the catch, not sure which part to insert a screwdriver/spanner, can anyone help my final moment of triumph :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts