Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao fellow 155isti,

Does anyone have experience with adjusting the bonnet and front bumper? I got in an accident 2 weeks ago, which damaged the bonnet, left wing and front bumper.

The bonnet was stuck shut and it looked like the top was shifted to the left. Now that the car is back from the body shop, it still looks like the top is somewhat shifted to the left. So, the bonnet tends to "look to the right" a bit, if you look really closely (now). :mad: I did adjust the bonnet using the hinge bolts, but I wonder if the hinge itself is bent? Any advice on how to fix that? As far as I can see the base of the hinge can not be moved... :confused:

Also, the bumper is lower on the right side than it is on the left. There is an adjustable soft of screw-wheel on the arm supporting the bumper, on which the bumper side rail slides. On both sides, they're set up to the max height. Is it possible to heighten the arm screw-wheel even more? :confused:

And finally, what's the adjustment space between the bumper and the base of the wing/blinker/lights supposed to be? 1-2 mm, or none? I'm asking because looking at the rear bumper on my car, there's absolutely none. :confused:

Sorry, that's many questions... And no, I'm not bringing the car back to these guys. They lost screws, bolts, didn't apply anti-rust where required, and I can adjust panels better than they can! :eek: If I'd known I'd have brought them the parts that needed a paint job, that's it. :rant:

Attachments

W

·
0 Posts
:(

155s panel gaps are cavenous at the best of times :lol: But it does sound like one of your hinges has taken a bash, best idea is probably to replace it. Send RGWM a PM, see if he has any.

Bumper, gap should be about 3mm I guess but would have to go measure to be sure. If both sides of the plastic adjuster are at maximum how about lowering one to even the bumper? Just undo the bolt and turn it ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
When I put my bumper back on after taking it off, the bumper went on at a different height. .. just 1 or 2mm ..but different.

I think how you mount the lower bumper (the bolt on the bottom of those drop-down brackets in front of the wheel) affects the height of the bumper, as it flexes a bit when you tighten everything up.

The drop down brackets should have a little U-section wheel thing, similar to the screw-wheels under the wing. The groove in the bumper moulding fits into the U-groove in this wheel part.

On mine, these lower wheels were never refitted - the bumper was bolted straight to the brackets. Body shops..! :rant: When I replaced them, the bumper appearance was slightly different.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I totally understand what you're saying Ralf; I did see these grooves on my bumper and guess what... bumper was bolted straight to the brackets, as you say. Wish I knew more about "body shopping" myself. :mad:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the Bestia put together as of right now; not bad overall. :cool: I'll soon go back to the breakers in an attempt to get the hinges from the bonnet/bumper/wing donor 155. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ciao Pierre,

from what it apreciates in the picture, the Alfa looks fine. Don't know from a close distance. I'm too picky. Did they do a good paint job at least?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Alex, the paint job is good indeed. Normal chaps like you and I will never have easy access to the ovens these people use... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Ralf, I went back to the body shop and got my original bumper back. :) I found 2 little U-thingies that are not on the new bumper, is that what you were mentioning?

( sorry for the poor quality of the pic, my camera absolutely refused to focus... )

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I'm not sure... it looks slightly different to mine. Is that the bottom left corner of the bumper?

I've attached a pic' - it's the back of the right hand side of the bumper (passenger side, for you).

You can see the slot built into the side of the bumper at the top.. it slides over those "wheels" screwed to the top of the vertical mounting arm in front of the wheels.

At the bottom, you can just see the same, slightly smaller arrangement. This slot fits over a smaller plastic wheel that screws into the bottom of the vertical mounting arm.

It's slightly different. The bottom "wheel" has a "U" shape built into it and the slot in the bumper fits into the "U" of the wheel. The wheel is too wide to fit completely into the slot on the bumper.

I think it's like this as the wheel is not rigid to the body when you out the bumper on. You slide the wheel into the bumper groove when the bumper is in place, then pass a bolt through the bumper AND the wheel.. then tighten it in place. So, the bottom wheel isn't bolted to the car before you mount the bumper, like the big wheels on the side are.

Ralf S.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts