Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jeez wish i hadn't started this. anyways i've changed the grille from the skinny to the later type and with all that chrome it's became glaringly obvious that my bonnets out of alignment. about 3mm in favour of the offside. enough to make it look lopsided, have losened the four bolts but there is no sideways movement.

am at a total loss how to sort it out :confused:

any ideas?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Is the misalignment only visible at the front?

If so then surely the bonnet catch has some sideways adjustment?

Are there also some rubber side bumpers in the channels along both edges of the wings that help to align the bonnet?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AlfaJack said:
Not ever been in a crash before :confused:
no evidence, as i got under the car the other day while it was on the ramp whilst having it's mot. also i can stamp the brakes hand free at 70 and it'll pull up straight. no pulling ect. no torque steer, wings and bumper mounts all seem original. perfect driving experiance.

stumped

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sunbar said:
Is the misalignment only visible at the front?

If so then surely the bonnet catch has some sideways adjustment?

Are there also some rubber side bumpers in the channels along both edges of the wings that help to align the bonnet?
Yes the misalignment is only visiable from the front. having measured it the bumper is near enough flush at the front of the o/s wing, so you can cleary see the flat section of the n/s wing. ok it's only 3mm but needs sorting.

reading the manual the bonnet catch does has some sideways adjustment and theres rust evidence on the slam panel 8mm to the left of the holes where the springs go. i'll check it out.

Talking of the side bumpers there tiny and i doubt there at fault but will check it out should i get nowhere with the catch adjustment.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daft question.....is it the bonnet out of line with the car or the front end out of line with the bonnnet?

Can't really tell from your description...sorry if I'm way off.

The front end all kinda "floats" and can be realigned....had problems with my old 1.8 and the V6 aint much better. Don't forget Alfas famous build quality of the period :eek:

wrinx

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I'd be tempted to grab the bonnet and lean on it in the direction you want it to point.... :D

Ralf S.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrinx said:
Daft question.....is it the bonnet out of line with the car or the front end out of line with the bonnnet?

Can't really tell from your description...sorry if I'm way off.

The front end all kinda "floats" and can be realigned....had problems with my old 1.8 and the V6 aint much better. Don't forget Alfas famous build quality of the period :eek:

wrinx
The gaps on the wings are parallel with the doors, so thats what leads me to say it's the bonnet thats out.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ralf S. said:
I'd be tempted to grab the bonnet and lean on it in the direction you want it to point.... :D

Ralf S.
That had crossed my mind, but being the hamfisted git i am liable to do serious irreversable damage. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts