Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might remember some comments I made that I've not been impressed with the front end of the 145. Between some of your comments, and chatting to my local Independent (A&M Alfas) and an inspection the wishbones are being replaced next Wednesday. Next will be both front tyres.

So, what tyres should I get? Have you had specific experience of these tyres? Why are they better than brand B? Budget is about £100, fitted. Over to you :)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I recommend Toyo Proxes T1R. Should be able to get them fitted for £50ish a corner.

very grippy in wet or dry and a sporty looking tread pattern:)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I recommend Toyo Proxes T1R.
+1

I've also got these fitted all round on mine and they give very good (confident) grip in both wet and dry conditions.

·
Registered
731 Posts
T1R's are ok for normal driving, and quite good in damp conditions, at the expense of a shorter lifespan.
However if you corner hard or plan to track the car then forget about it - they melt and turn blue almost immediately and then the sidewalls collapse after a few laps. They are not a performance tyre.

S

·
0 Posts
I recommend Toyo Proxes T1R. Should be able to get them fitted for £50ish a corner.

very grippy in wet or dry and a sporty looking tread pattern:)
+2

I have these fitted on my 147 and think they are superb!! So much so that ive even bought another set ready to go on :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
TIR's here to. Been using them on my QV's for the last 8 years.
Excellent grip & wear. Just make sure you get your wheels tracked & balanced as they have quite soft/low shoulders and will wear alarmingly quick if you dont.

Cant fault them at all.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
T1R's are ok for normal driving, and quite good in damp conditions, at the expense of a shorter lifespan.
However if you corner hard or plan to track the car then forget about it - they melt and turn blue almost immediately and then the sidewalls collapse after a few laps. They are not a performance tyre.
I can't agree with that, I ran Toyo Proxes T1-R for some time on my 1.6 twinny and tracked it a couple of times, up at Croft had 3 fast hard sessions with 4 wheel powerslides through most of the bends, the tyres blistered a bit but after a few hundred miles the melted bits had worn off and it was back to normal.

I've got them on the GTA at the front and they have been fine, so far has P Zero Nero on it, Michelin PS2's and now Goodyear Eagle F1 I think on the back and T1-Rs on the front, been very happy with grip from all these although I'd say I expected more from the PS2's they were good but not miles better than anything else I've tried.

P Zero Nero's seemed to be a bit less grippy in the wet than the others, that's my only reservation about not having them again, I went for PS2's before as we have only just changed them on our beemer from new and it's done over 30K on a single set, the fronts aren't anywhere near needing changing either, we only changed the rears.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,532 Posts
i might try these Toyo's

i was going to suggest Bridgestone Potenza's but it looks like il be fighting a losing battle :lol:

·
Registered
46,602 Posts
Why do you do soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many miles?
Work is 50 miles a day.

Going to see my mates is 50-60 miles at a time.

Driving my brother round for many shopping trips is over a 100 miles round trip :rolleyes:

Various trips to race tracks on Saturdays aren't exactly local :rolleyes: I went to Bristol to pick up my bumpers, that was 500 miles in a day :eek: Trips to Merseyside/Manchester for my exhaust and to see Oasis. Trips to Barnsley and Oulton Park.

It all adds up!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I can't agree with that,
Well if I was expressing an opinion that would be fine, you can disagree. However I'm stating a fact.

The thread life is less than other comparable tyres, the threadwear rating from the manufacturer themselves shows this.

WRT track days, they are fine on the Elise because it is such a light car, but on the twinny they disintegrate after not too many laps at all. All the problems are sidewall related.
This will vary from track to track I suppose, with Croft being relatively easy on tyres, but hard on brakes iirc.

I still have T1Rs on two of my cars but never use them for track days due to side wall issues.
Next time you're on track mount you're cam to look at the front wheels (or get a mate to record you cornering) and you'll be shocked to see the excessive sidewall flex. This is what leads to the overheat and subsequent wear.
This also creates a delay between steering input and directional change, which btw nullifies to a great extent the effect of strut braces and polybushed susp components.
When hitting kerbs under load the tyres bubble out at 3 and 9 o'clock. IMO this leaves the tyre in a dangerous condition for road use afterwards, especially on motorways.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Ive had the T1Rs on the front of my 145 for the last 18,000 miles. They also done 10,000 on the front of my last 145 ( I carried the tyres across to my current 145).

My current 145 has worn wishbones, so to get 28k out of these tires with worn suspension is ruddy good, thats considering I drive in a "spirited" fashion. The tyres are at the limit now!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts