30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Beeb. Euan & Colin Mcgreggor.

Must watch TV.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Brilliant program.
Thank god we dont have to live in that world now.
All our dads and grandads who had to endure this in my eyes are heroes

·
Registered
37,768 Posts
My Grandad was a Tailgunner on a Lancaster Bomber during the later part of the war.

Sadly he and my dad don't get on all that well so I haven't really had chance to talk to him about it much.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
The Tail Gunner, when the pilot told him he could bail out because the tail was damaged :(

"Wot and leave my mates" made me shed a tear :cry:

The thought of seven lads having some R&R strapped to an MG made me :lol:

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
I know :(

I'm a big girls blouse :rolleyes:

It reminded me of Alfa's and Merlins :D

Nige you are a star :D :D :D

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/meets-and-events-images/239293-east-kirkby-aviation-centre-four-roarring-merlins.html

:thumbs: A brilliant program, makes a change from all the Prancing On X Number of Rusty Nails etc etc.

Here in Bomber County most of the AO lot like our Aviation stuff, the East Kirkby Meet has now become a tradition, can't see us ever missing their BoB day. :thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Absolutely fantastic TV. All the better for avoiding falling into the jingoistic trap of painting every single German as a villain.

It never ceases to amaze me that the men who flew those planes don't seem to see it as anything special or remarkable.

V

·
0 Posts
I´m in Spain for a couple of weeks at the moment but we have BBC1 in the hotel. I saw most of the programme (missed the beginning) and I thought they gave Bomber Harris a bit of a drubbing. Yes, the carpet-bombing of German cities was appalling and yes, many thousands of innocent people died as a result. But don´t forget the situation the world was in, drastic measures were sometimes needed, to win - almost - at all costs. And at the risk of sounding ´***-for-tat´, the Germans bombed our population centres first with their Blitzkrieg and total war, specifically designed to destroy Britain´s resolve.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Max, we now have generations of people who prefer today's
sanitised warfare and struggle to get their heads round a
time when the option of wiping everyone out was quite valid.

Most of these people have never and probably never will be
faced with the fear that right now could be their last minute
because another nation was out to kill them. A very real threat
that you could be dead in the morning breads an attitude of
making sure the other guy is hit in a way he cannot get up
from.

Since those days we have not faced having to make such a
decision as Harris did. We haven't been under threat of mass
destruction since then. Which is excellent.

But the lack of any such threat makes it more popular to vilify
those who made drastic decisions.

V

·
0 Posts
In reality, no warfare is sanitised. But I couldn´t agree more with your post, Gibbo.

And I think part of the way people feel about war these days, is because the wars we´ve had for the last few decades haven´t been win-or-die wars. For the most part, they´ve been of dubious morality with large doubts as to whether we should have been making war in the 1st place.

·
Administrator
23,041 Posts
Well said Gibbo.

It is easy to villify the actions of others from the past whilst looking through the interpretation of "today".

That said though I still think they were quite balanced. Ewan and his bother had grandfathers who fought in WW2. I had a father. So they were one more step removed from me - HOWEVER I do believe that they did a great job-

They respected the opinions of the aircrew involved - even to the point when they were, inevitably asked - was it justified ? and the response was - "of course it was" - what else was an 87 year old who lived through it was going to say? But there was no "irony" implied in the presentation, which would have been so easy.

They put both sides of the Bomber Harris argument.

Colin made the best point of all at the end - (I paraphrase) - how could you not respect the courage of these young boys (and boys they indeed were) ?

The more I think about it the more I respect the way it was presented. No judgement just observation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts