Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

two of the bolts that holds the weheel to the car snapped over the week end. Why does this happen, and HOW the hell do i get the peace of bolt out thats stuck in the hub????

Apreciate quick response.. i need to go X-mas Shopping..

Nicholas

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They probably snapped either from over tightening, damage or freak of nature.

To get the bit out of the hub you can either drill it & use stud extractors or if you've got the gear, weld something on the end & unscrew it.

good luck I guess it'll be a pain either way.

A

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drilled it with a 1/4 Titanium drill bit.. hardly a scratch onm the bolt.. i talked to my neighbour, he suggested a smaller bit and less RPM on the drill.....

what do you think??

Nicholas

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually you need more speed for a smaller bit and less speed for larger drills. Wheel bolts are not hardened (are they?) so you shouldn't have any trouble :confused:

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought for metal it was nice & slow with a lot of cutting fluid to keep things nice & smooth (& cool!)

It might be easier to unbolt the hub & take it somewhere though...

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on how far down the bolt has sheared but you could try removing the disk (caliper off first) and see if that exposes any of the thread above the surface of the hub. If so, try good old Mole grips.

Alternatively (and this depends how tight they are) try aralditing a amaller bolt to the top of the sheared bolt, allow it to harden, and then........break it off again! No, no, I mean undo it carefully. De-grease the broken bolt carefully first, though.

Worth a try?

Ian

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fade2grey:
I thought for metal it was nice & slow with a lot of cutting fluid to keep things nice & smooth (& cool!)

It might be easier to unbolt the hub & take it somewhere though...
Agree with Alex. Best and most accurate way is to take it to a machine shop and have them drill it out. Go to a local engineering shop and see if one of the guys will do it their lunch hour.

I used to do lots of "home" jobs when working in engineering.

Alex, you're right about coolant but the speed is still small=fast, large=slow eek! eek!

wrinx

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I once removed four of them (wheel locks, lost the key) first drilling with a pilot drill roughly 3mm then depending on the size of your stud extractor using a bigger drill done in the dark with a hand-held drill they came out no problem, of course if they were seized it would have been a different story, but I would agree with the other replys if you can get to a machine shop then at least with a column drill you will be drilling straight and center punch beforehand should be no prob, if you need to completly drill them out and re-tap the threads make sure you have an expert do it, use loads of loose-oil (WD-40 eg) and tap them with a hammer and cylindrical flat punch, (don't know the official name) beforehand as this works wonders on rust.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again depending on where it snapped, I'd try welding a rod or something onto the end of the part left in the hub, grinding some flats onto it and trying to carefully unscrew it, after applying shed loads of wd-40 or the like, and an oxy-acet torch to the hub.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And again i have proved tom y self that i am no mechanic..

i am taking the car to a mech tomorrow, and have them do it... i feel useles!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

thanks for all teh suport

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
if there is any exposed thread left on the bolts cutt a slice into it to make it like a screw and then use an impact driver could save money

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nicholas.. don't worry about it... you should see the number of bolt's I've snapped on the q4!!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wait to see the number of threads you fcuk up when you try and put the whole lot together again. At least you are doing it from the top.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I assume your bolts seized in the hub and undoing them (or trying to) made them snap...?

I'd buy a new secondhand hub from somewhere.

It'll be a whole lot less bother than trying to re-tap the holes. If there's any damage to the holes, either from the removal process or the original seizure, the hole may not be quite tight enough to hold the bolt securely.

You'd have to fill it and re-drill it and finally re-tap. There must be hundreds of secondhand hubs at the breakers.

Ralf S.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bolts snapped while driving. The first one must have snapped a few weeks ago, cause i didnt notice anything specialand it has a little rust on it. The second one snapped the other day and i got stranded by the road, couldn`t drive the car home, it was 3:30am. I think the /&$(/$&%$/&$&% of bitches who changed my wheels, did a shitty job, and they used another type of spacer, universal one, that has a bunch of holes that you move around until you get a fit, i wasnt at the shop while they did that. Ones i got there i noticed that these spacers where not exactly the same size as the hub, they were a little bit bigger,and to make them fit for the holes they tended to be further to one side.When i asked the mech about it, he shruged his sholders and said it was normal. If i remember my physics correctly, a un evaen circle puts stress on the bolts which snapped,due to the uneven G-force created by the spacers not being aligned with the hub. Actually, the spacer that was on the wheel with the broken bolts, was damaged so much that two holes became one...as i always save stuff i had saved the original spacers which ar much stronger and only have 4 holes, and when i tried it on the new wheel this morning, it fit perfectly. Those /&($(/&$/&$ didn`t even try the original spacers.

Anyway, the car is at another shop today, to remove the two broken bolts,and change the spacers back to the originals. Hopefylly the thread has not been broken...i`ll let you all know how this saga ends, for future references.

thanks all for the suport

Nicholas

·
Registered
715 Posts
You did well if you could get it to a garage!! I have recently had fun with snapped bolts but in the engine!!

I would have gonr for the welding on approach myself. I always use a lot of copper grease on my bolts as I have had one snap off in the hub before.

The reason they snap is probably due to two the weight of the car is taken on the bolts and not the Spigot (the bit that sticks out in the centre of the wheel). As the later 155's had spacers on, this can cause a problem. Check that the correct spigot ring has been fitted to the inside of your wheel. This will help a bit.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hello,

the mechanic gave me the avise to dont use bolts, and instead weld on the screws and use nuts. This would make it stronger and also easier to change tiers. My dad`s 75 had this system and so does all japanese cars..

Also, i have a /&%/&%/& up ballbearings in the front left. Its rusted and has ground down the part that is attached to it, doint know the name. It will cost me $63 for new ballbearings, not too bad..have to think positive ha ha ha.

N

1 - 18 of 18 Posts